Bachelor’s in English Language and Literature
The Department of English Language and Literature at the University of Sharjah offers a Bachelor’s Degree program in English Language and Literature that aims at providing students with a solid background in this field. The study plan allows students to major in either linguistics and translation, or literature and translation. Through this flexible program, the Department aims at enhancing the student's competence in the skills of listening, speaking, reading, writing, and critical thinking. It also aims at promoting the student's appreciation of the English language and literature in its various stages. Realizing the role that translation plays in developing the linguistic competence of the students, the Department offers a number of basic courses in translation to familiarize students with the principles and techniques of translation. In order to accomplish these goals, the Department of English Language and Literature employs competitively selected professors and instructors. The Department also utilizes three computer language labs for teaching its computer-based language courses.
The Master’s Degree
The Department of English, being keenly aware of the University’s goals and mission in meeting the community’s needs in a world of increasing globalization, offers an MA Program in Translation. The program aims at graduating Master’s Degree holders who will competently fill key positions in public and private fields.
MA Program Mission
As an institution of higher education, the University of Sharjah seeks to provide continuous and specialized education aimed at training human resources that are both capable of contributing to the sustained development of the country and enhancing its links with an ever-changing world.
The Department of English, being keenly aware of these objectives, realizes that in a world undergoing an irreversible process of globalization, there is a growing need for people who are in full command of the language that this process requires. Such people will need to be fully abreast of the latest developments in the world arena, to transfer the knowledge the country needs in the various fields of human endeavor, and to convey an accurate picture of the progress the country is undergoing in its own attempt to be in the forefront of developing nations. The M.A. in Translation Program in the Department of English Language and Literature has serving the needs of the community in the fields of education, communication, business and diplomacy as its overall mission. Graduates with a Master’s Degree in translation are expected to competently fill key positions in these fields and to lead the ongoing process of modernization and development in the United Arab Emirates.
MA Program Goals
1. to provide students with the theoretical principles of the major approaches to translation,
2. to acquaint students with the characteristic discourse features of various Arabic and English text types (legal, business, journalistic, political, religious, scientific, etc.),
3. to promote students’ awareness of (a) the relationship between culture and translation, (b) the cross-cultural differences and similarities between English and Arabic and, (c) the translation traditions, ethics and trends characteristic of the two languages,
4. to acquaint students with the principles of consecutive interpretation, and
5. to develop students’ research skills in the various areas of translation and prepare them for higher studies.