• Sep 2020– Present: Professor, Department of Environmental Health Sciences College of Health Sciences University of Sharjah – Sharjah, UAE.
• Feb 2018-Jul 2020: Department of Human Nutrition, College of Health Sciences, Qatar University, Qatar.
• Aug 2015-Sep 2017: Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
• Jul 1994-Nov 1994: Department of Environmental Biology, Ontario Agricultural College, University of Guelph, Canada.
• Jan 2000-to present: Department of Chemistry, School of Natural Sciences, University of Ioannina, Greece.
• Mar 1993-Dec 1999: Faculty Staff, Department of Microbiology, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Greece.
• Apr 1990-Feb 1993: Analytical Biochemist, Biochemical Department, University Hospital of Ioannina, Greece.
Tsiraki, M.I. and Savvaidis, I.N. (2014). Citrus Extract or Natamycin Treatments on "Tzatziki"- a Traditional Greek Salad. Food Chemistry, 142: 416-422.
Tsiraki, M.I. and Savvaidis, I.N. (2016). Citrus extract (Citrox©) treatments on microflora, Bacillus cereus and Salmonella enterica in a traditional Greek yogurt-based salad (“Tzatziki”). Food Microbiology, 53, 150-155.
Vardaka, V.D. Yehia, H.M and Savvaidis, I.N. (2016). Effects of Citrox and chitosan on the survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella enterica in vacuum-packaged turkey meat. Food Microbiology, 58, 128-134.
Tsiraki, M.I., Abiad, M.G., Yehia, H.M. and Savvaidis, I.N. (2017). Use of Natural Antimicrobials to Improve the Quality Characteristics of Fresh"Phyllo "- A Dough-based Wheat Product–Shelf Life Assessment. Food Microbiology, 62, 153-159.
Yehia, H.M., Ghanem, S., El-Obeid, T., Mosilhey, S.H., and Savvaidis, I.N. (2017). In vitro characterization of a vancomycin-resistant strain of Leuconostoc lactis isolated from chicken carcasses and its activity against some foodborne pathogens. African Journal of Food Science, 11, 337-345.
Tsiraki, M.I., Sakkas, H., Osaili, T., Yehia, H., El-Obeid, T. and Savvaidis, I.N. (2018). Effects of Citrus extract and temperature on the survival of Listeria spp. and Escherichia coli 0157:H7 in a traditional Greek yogurt-based salad ‘Tzatziki’. Food Microbiology, 69, 11-17.
El-Obeid, T., Yehia, H.M., Sakkas, H., Lambrianidi, L., Tsiraki, M.I. and Savvaidis, I.N. (2018). Shelf-life of smoked eel ﬁllets treated with chitosan or thyme oil. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 114, 578-583.
Tsiraki, M.I., El-Obeid. T., Yehia, H.M., Karam, L. and Savvaidis, I.N. (2018). Effects of Chitosan and Natamycin on Vacuum-Packaged "Phyllo" - a Pastry Product". Journal of Food Protection, 81, 1982-1987.
Karam, L., Roustom, R., Chehab, R., Abiad, M.G., El-Obeid, T. and Savvaidis, I.N. (2019). Combined effects of thymol, carvacrol and packaging on the shelf-life of marinated chicken. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 291, 42-47.
Lambrianidi, L., Savvaidis, I.N., Tsiraki, M.I. and El-Obeid, T. (2019). Chitosan and oregano oil treatments, individually or in combination to increase the shelf-life of vacuum-packaged, refrigerated European eel (Anguilla anguilla) fillets. Journal of Food Protection, 82, 1369-1376.
Ganji V., Savvaidis, I.N. and El-Obeid, T. (2019). "Impact of food safety training on the knowledge, practice, and attitudes of food handlers working in fast-food restaurants. British Food Journal, 121, 937-949.
Albiss, B.A., Al-Nabulsi, A., Al-Romi, A., Health, M., Olaimat, A., Savvaidis, I.N., Holley, R. and Osaili, T.M. (2019). Effects of metal oxide nanoparticles with plant extract on viability of foodborne pathogens, accepted in press. Journal of Food Safety, 39:e12681.
Osaili, T.M., Hasan, F. Dhanasekaran, D.K., Obaid, R.S., Al-Nabulsi, A.A., Rao, S., Hera, F., Ayyash, M., Savvaidis, I.N., Holley, R. (2020). Thermal inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains and Salmonella spp. in camel meat burgers. L.W.T. – Food Science and Technology, 120, 108914.
Karam, L., Chehab, R., Osaili, T.M. and Savvaidis, I.N. (2020). Antimicrobial effect of thymol and carvacrol added to a vinegar-based marinade for controlling spoilage of marinated beef (Shawarma) stored in air or vacuum packaging. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 332, 108769.
Osaili, T.M., Hasan, F., Dhanasekaran, D.K., Obaid, R., Al-Nabulsi, A., Ayyash, M., Karam, L., Savvaidis, I.N. and Holley, R. (2020). Effect of active essentials added to chicken Tawook on the behaviour of Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella spp. and Escherichia coli O157:H7 during storage. International Journal of Food Microbiology. Submitted under review.
Special Issues Editor
Food Natural Antimicrobials, edited Ioannis Savvaidis, Fernando Ayala-Zavala. (2020). https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/international-journal-of-food-microbiology/special-issue/10BPGPF8596
1. Savvaidis, I.N. and Ruiz-Capillas, C. (2009). Biogenic Amines in fresh and processed meat and meat products (Chapter 9). Biological Aspects of Biogenic Amines, Polyamines and Conjugates Guy Dandrifosse. Transworld Research Network, Kerala, India. ISBN: 978-81-7895-249-9.
2. Giatrakou, V., Ntzimani, A., Savvaidis, I.N. (2010). Bioactive packaging technologies with chitosan as a natural preservative agent for extended shelf-life food products. In: Arvanitoyannis, I. (Ed.), Modified Atmosphere and Active Packaging Technologies. Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, pp. 685–730.
3. Savvaidis, I.N. and Osaili, T.M. (2020) “Food Safety in the Middle East”. Elsevier, in preparation.
4. Savvaidis, I.N. (2020). “The Use of Chitosan in Food Systems”. Elsevier, in preparation.