Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University Malaya, Malaysia, Oct. 2014 (Fast Track Masters leading to Ph.D.)
Worked on the thesis titled “Effect of thermo physical properties on the energy & exergy efficiencies of flat plate solar collector using metal oxides and SWCNTs based nanofluids “,
Master of Engineering (Mechanical), University Malaya, Malaysia, Feb. 2011.
Thesis titled “Investigation on fundamental optical properties of nanofluids”
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Hons.), University Tenaga Nasional, Malaysia, Sept. 2008
Worked on the thesis titled “(SPT), Parametric Study of mixed convection heat transfer in a lid driven square cavity filled with nanofluids. “
American Degree Transfer Program (Liberal Arts) 2006-2007
Help University College, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Assistant Professor, Department of Sustainable and Renewable Energy Engineering (SREE), University of Sharjah, Sharjah, UAE
September, 2016 - Present
Project Lead, Line Scan Thermography, September. 2015 - Present.
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Masdar Institute, U.A.E., April. 2014 - Present.
Ph.D. Research Fellow, University Malaya, Malaysia, Feb, 2012- April, 2014.
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering.
Research Engineer, University Malaya, Malaysia, Nov. 2011 – Feb, 2012.
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering.
1. PI. High power conversion efficiency in ferroelectric hot carrier solar cells via plasmonic assisted carrier injection. (4-2022-ongoing) Grant (200,000 AED)
2. PI. Nanorefrigerants and nanolubricants for district cooling. Collaborative external project with Tabreed. (2021-ongoing) Phase 1, Grant (63,000 AED)
3. PI. Performance enhancement of Parabolic Trough Solar Collector with different inserts, designs and nanofluids. (2021-ongoing) Grant (196,000 AED)
4. PI. Performance enhancement of evacuated tube solar collector using different nanomaterials-based fluid. (2018-ongoing) Grant (80,000 AED)
5. Co-PI. Numerical and experimental investigations of Dust effect on Solar systems under United Arab Emirates Weather Conditions and Dust Mitigation Methods. (2020-ongoing) Grant (80,000 AED)
6. Co-PI. Numerical and experimental study of an innovative solar absorber - parabolic trough collectors’ case. (2018-ongoing) Grant (165,000 AED)
7. PI. Stability and thermophysical properties of Hybrid nanofluids for heat transfer enhancement and energy efficiency. (2017-2019) Grant (40,000 AED)
8. Co-PI. Energy Efficiency enhancement of PV/T using nanofluids. (2017-2020) Grant (97,600 AED).
9. Faculty member and advisor. Solar Decathlon Middle East 2018 Dubai. (2016-2018).
1. Zafar Said et al. "Recent advances on the fundamental physical phenomena behind stability, dynamic motion, thermophysical properties, heat transport, applications, and challenges of nanofluids." Physics Reports. Volume 946, 2 February 2022, Pages 1-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physrep.2021.07.002 (IF: 30.150).
2. Thakur, Amrit Kumar, Mohammad Shamsuddin Ahmed, Hyokyeong Kang, Rajendran Prabakaran, Zafar Said, Saidur Rahman, Ravishankar Sathyamurthy, Jaekook Kim, and Jang‐Yeon Hwang. "Critical Review on Internal and External Battery Thermal Management Systems for Fast Charging Applications." Advanced Energy Materials (2022): 2202944. (IF: 29.698).
3. Said, Zafar, Prabhakar Sharma, Rajvikram M. Elavarasan, Arun Kumar Tiwari, and Manish K. Rathod. "Exploring the specific heat capacity of water-based hybrid nanofluids for solar energy applications: A comparative evaluation of modern ensemble machine learning techniques." Journal of Energy Storage 54 (2022): 105230. (IF: 8.907).
4. Zafar Said*, Ahmed Amine Hachicha, Sadegh Aberoumand, Bashria A. A. Yousef, Enas Taha Sayed, Evangelos Bellos. Nanofluids for low to medium temperature solar collectors: energy, exergy, economic analysis and environmental impact. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science (2021). Volume 84, May 2021, 100898 (IF: 35.339).
5. Said, Zafar, Prabhakar Sharma, Arun Kumar Tiwari, Zuohua Huang, Van Ga Bui, and Anh Tuan Hoang. "Application of novel framework based on ensemble boosted regression trees and Gaussian process regression in modelling thermal performance of small-scale organic rankine cycle using hybrid nanofluid." Journal of Cleaner Production (2022): 132194. (IF: 11.079).
6. Said, Zafar, Shek Rahman, Prabhakar Sharma, Ahmed Amine Hachicha, and Salah Issa. "Performance characterization of a solar-powered shell and tube heat exchanger utilizing MWCNTs/Water-based nanofluids: An experimental, Numerical, and Artificial Intelligence approach." Applied Thermal Engineering (2022): 118633. (IF: 6.465).
7. Said, Zafar, Prabhakar Sharma, Navid Aslfattahi, and Mokhtar Ghodbane. "Experimental analysis of novel ionic liquid-MXene hybrid nanofluid's energy storage properties: Model-prediction using modern ensemble machine learning methods." Journal of Energy Storage 52 (2022): 104858. (IF: 8.907).
8. Hachicha, Ahmed Amine, Essam M. Abo-Zahhad, Zafar Said, and S. M. A. Rahman. "Numerical and experimental investigations of the electrical and thermal performances of a novel PV thermal system." Renewable Energy (2022). (IF: 8.634).
World Society of Sustainable Energy Technologies (WSSET) (Membership Number: 2721) Since June, 2022-present.
Member, Climate Change & Food & Water Security at the UAE climate Change Research Network for the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment, UAE. (2022-present)
Member, Climate Change & Infrastructure at the UAE climate Change Research Network for the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment, UAE. (2022-present)
Mentor as Global Talent Mentoring – by World Giftedness Center. Global Talent Mentoring is an online mentoring program for developing talents in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medical sciences (STEMM). (2020-present)
An assessor for the Australian Research Council (ARC), (26th July 2021-present).
Reviewer for European Research Council (ERC) (ERC Starting Grant 2019 Call)