Master of Science in Conservation Management of Cultural Heritage program is offered in collaboration with the International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM). In the Arab region, there are currently only a few academic programs dealing with the conservation of cultural heritage; almost all of which deal with narrow areas of the conservation of cultural heritage.
This program looks at the cultural heritage form a comprehensive point of view, taking into consideration technical, cultural, historical and management aspects. This unique program places the UAE in the forefront of countries in the region that offer higher academic programs in the field of cultural heritage conservation. The main objective of this program is to enhance conservation practices among specialists and experts in the region which serves the development of the values of conservation in the Arab world. The program has been designed to include the importance of a multidisciplinary perspective and to provide students with a strong theoretical background, as well as practical training necessary to develop their conservation and heritage management skills. This will help students to develop analytical thinking skills, strong ethical foundations, and develop their ability to work in teams. This program is carefully structured and it takes advantage of a broad range of specialists and experts in various fields of conservation to provide graduates with the knowledge, skills and attitudes required for safe practice.Program Objectives:
- Provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the theories, methods, laws and legislation of the conservation and management of cultural heritage and its development.
- Introduce students to the contributions of various sciences and disciplines in the field of the cultural heritage management.
- Provide students with the skills necessary to prepare, implement, evaluate and monitor cultural heritage management plans.
- Provide students with the training to analyze the problems and challenges facing the conservation of cultural heritage and to find appropriate solutions.
- Develop the students' decision-making skills based on analysis and scientific research that are used towards the development and management of policies and projects related to the conservation of cultural heritage.
- Provide students with the training to work in a team or individually in different contexts in the field of cultural heritage.
- Develop the students' research and learning skills in the fields of conservation and management of cultural heritage.
- Develop the students' abilities to interact and communicate with local communities and specialists in the fields of cultural heritage.
- Provide students with the training to apply the best accepted theories, methods, standards, ethics and practices in the conservation and management of cultural heritage.