•06-2020 - Present, Associate Professor at the Department of Medicinal Chemistry (Pharmacognosy and natural products), College of Pharmacy, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, UAE.
•009-2015 to 6-2020 Assistant Professor at the Department of Medicinal Chemistry (Pharmacognosy and natural products), College of Pharmacy, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, UAE.
•10 -2014 to 09-2015 Postdoc at School of medicine (fungal pathogenesis by natural toxins and relevant treatment) University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), USA
•2013-2015: Postdoc research and teaching fellow at the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department.
•06 -2013 to 10-2014 Postdoc research and teaching fellow at the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering of natural products University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), USA.
•2012-2018: Assistant Professor, Pharmacognosy, and natural products Biotechnology
•2011-2019: Faculty Research Scientist, mycotoxins biotransformation, molecular biology, genomics, and proteomics.
•2010-2011: Research associate, molecular biology, OAC
•2007-2010: Research assistant, Chemical Evolution, and Biochemistry, OAC
•2006-2007: Instructor, Biochemistry Department, Faculty of Forestry and Environmental biology
•2003-2006: Instructor, Pharmacognosy, and Phytochemistry
•1999-2003: Teaching Assistant, Pharmacognosy and Natural Products Biotechnology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy
1. Soliman SSM, Baldin C, Gu Y, et al. Mucoricin is a Ricin-Like Toxin that is Critical for the Pathogenesis of Mucormycosis. Nature Microbiology 2021.
2. Abdullah Alqarihi, Teclegiorgis Gebremariam, Yiyou Gu, Marc Swidergall, Sondus Alkhazraji, Sameh SM Soliman, Vincent M Bruno, John E Edwards, Scott G Filler, Priya Uppuluri, Ashraf S Ibrahim. (2020) GRP78 and Integrins Play Different Roles in Host Cell Invasion During Mucormycosis. Mbio 11 (3)
3. Teclegiorgis Gebremariam, Sondus Alkhazraji, Sameh S. M. Soliman, Yiyou Gu, Heewon H. Jeon, Lina Zhang, Samuel W. French, David A. Stevens, John E. Edwards Jr., Scott G. Filler, Priya Uppuluri, Ashraf S. Ibrahim. (2019). Anti-CotH3 antibodies protect mice from mucormycosis by prevention of invasion and augmenting opsonophagocytosis. Science Advances. 5: eaaw1327
4. Angeliki M Andrianaki, Irene Kyrmizi, Kalliopi Thanopoulou, Clara Baldin, Elias Drakos, Sameh SM Soliman, Amol C Shetty, Carrie McCracken, Tonia Akoumianaki, Kostas Stylianou, Petros Ioannou, Charalampos Pontikoglou, Helen A Papadaki, Maria Tzardi, Valerie Belle, Emilien Ettiene, Anne Beauvais, George Samonis, Dimitrios P Kontoyiannis, Evangelos Andreakos, Vincent M Bruno, Ashraf S Ibrahim, Georgios Chamilos. (2018). Iron restriction inside macrophages regulates pulmonary host defense against Rhizopus species. Nature Communication. 9 (1), 3333
5. Soliman, S., Mosa, K.A., El-Keblawy, A.A., Husseiny, M.I. (2017). Exogenous and endogenous increase in fungal GGPP increased fungal Taxol production. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 101(20): 7523-7533.
6. Chibucos, M. C., Soliman S., Gebremariam, T., Lee, H., Daugherty, S., Orvis, J., ...& Kumari, P. (2016). An integrated genomic and transcriptomic survey of mucormycosis-causing fungi. Nature Communication.7: 12218.
7. Soliman, S., Greenwood, J., Bombarely, A., Mueller, L., Tsao, R., Mosser, D., Raizada, M. (2015). An endophyte constructs fungicide-containing extracellular barrier for its host plant. Current Biology. 25 (19):2570-2576.
8. Gaudin A, McClymont S, Soliman S., Raizada M. (2014). The effect of altered dosage of a mutant allele of teosinte branched 1 (tb1-ref) on the root system of modern maize. BMC Genetics.15:23.
9. Soliman, S., Raizada, M. (2013). Interactions between co-habitating fungi elicit synthesis of Taxol from an endophytic fungus in host Taxus plants. Frontier in Microbiology. 4:1-14.
10. Soliman, S., Tsao, R., Raizada, M. (2011). Chemical inhibitors suggest endophytic fungal Paclitaxel is derived from both mevalonate and non-mevalonate-like pathways. Journal of Natural Products.74: 2497−2504.
1. UoS patent (June 2021) “Novel Anti-SARS-CoV-2 drugs with dual targeting activity. (Inventors: Sameh Soliman, Bahgat Fayed, Rania Hamdy, Ahmed Elmehdi)
2. U.S. Provisional patent (December 12th, 2019) “Novel Candida inhibitors”
(Inventors: Sameh Soliman, Rania Hamdy and Ashraf Ibrahim).
3. U.S. Provisional Patent Application Serial No. 62/260,054 (November 25, 2015) “Novel Fungal Toxins And Methods Related To The Same” November 25, 2015
(Inventors: Sameh Soliman and Ashraf S. Ibrahim).
4. US Patent Application No. US 61/499286 (filed June 20, 2012). “Screening for Nitrogen Fixation” (Inventors: Manish Raizada, Michael Tessaro, Sameh Soliman, and Hanan Shehata).
1. Incentive Research Award, UOS, September 2021
2. Rashid bin Humaid Award, November 17th, 2021
3. First Place Winner in AlOwais national research competition award- June 2019
4. Incentive Teaching Award, UOS, April 2019
5. First place winner in the 13th University of Sharjah Research Competition (Pi), April 2019
6. First place winner in the 7th UAE Undergraduate Research GCC Competition (Pi), April 2019
7. First place winner in Think sciences national competition (Pi), April 2019
8. Appreciation letter by the University Chancellor to my role in the University research, September 2018
9. First place winner in the 6th UAE Undergraduate Research Competition (Co-Pi), April 2018
10. Sharjah Islamic Bank Student Research Award (Co-Pi), April 2018
11. Incentive Research Award, UOS, April 2018
12. First place winner in the 5th UAE Undergraduate Research Competition (Pi), May 2017
13. Seventh best undergraduate oral presentation in Duphat 2017 (Pi)
14. Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) award ($46000.00/year for two years), 2011-2013
15. Faculty Dean`s award, Canada 2010 ($2000.00)
16. Mrs. Fred Ball scholarship, Canada 2007 ($5000.00)
17. Best undergrad student at Faculty of Pharmacy (1996)