2015 – till Date - College of Business, University of Sharjah, Sharjah
2013- 2015 Abu Dhabi University, Abu Dhabi, UAE
•Associate Professor of CS & IT
•Research – Grid Computing, Information Retrieval, Supply Chain Management.
•Teaching – Project Management, e-Commerce, Data Mining, Software Engineering, Operating Systems, System Analysis and Design.
2010-2012 Monash University, Sunway Campus
• Senior Lecturer/Head of School
• Member of Academic Board
• Member of Faculty Leadership Group
• Member of Senior Member Group (SMG)
01/2009- Monash University, Sunway Campus
12/2010 • Deputy Head of School, Sunway Campus
• Chair of Campus Advancement Committee
• Chair of Campus Intellectual Property Committee
• Member of Faculty Board Committee
• Chair of School Research and Postgraduate Committee
• Member Faculty Research Committee
• Chief Examiner- Information Technology Strategy and Management
03/2006- Monash University, Sunway Campus
12/2008 Lecturer – School of Information Technology
•Chair of School Research & Postgraduate Committee
•Chair of Campus Intellectual Property committee
•Member Faculty Research Committee
•Member Faculty Graduate Postgraduate Programs Committee
•Member Campus Disciplinary Committee (Academic)
•Member School Education Committee
•Member University Library Committee
•Research Interest – Supply Chain Management, Multi-agents Methodology, Fuzzy Logic, Multimedia Information Retrieval,
•Teaching – Information Systems, Software Engineering, Trading Systems and Electronic Commerce, System Analysis and Design, Operations Management
10/2005 – SUC (Sur University College), Sur, Sultanate of Oman
03/2006 Assistant Professor - Department of Information and Systems Technology (DIST)
•Teaching - Artificial Intelligence, Knowledge Management Systems, Business System, Development and Human Computer Interaction
•Member of the Accreditation Committee of the SUC
•Member of the SUC Marketing Committee
•Member of the SUC Academic Board
12/2002- Sheffield Hallam University, U.K.
02/2003 Research Assistant
•Worked on the Deployment of Agentcities' Project, European Union, 5th Framework Information Society Technology (IST) funding program
•Contributed competently as part of a team, cooperating with team members, and ensuring that individual and group deadlines were met
•Participated significantly in the preparation of the final report on the same
•Liaised with a number of collaborating universities
05/1994- ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation), Gujarat, India.
06/1994 Engineering Trainee
•Undertook summer training in one of the largest petrochemical plants in India
• International Journal of Business and Data Analytics, Inderscience
• International Journal of Technology in Small and Medium Enterprises (IJTSME)
• Journal of Innovation Management in Small and Medium Enterprises (JIMSME)
Program Committee Member:
• Computing and Informatics Annual Symposium( CIAS 2020), Sharjah, UAE, May 31th,, 2020
• The International Conference on Big Data in Business 2019, London, U.K, October 29-31, 2019
• 1st College of Business Administration Symposium Towards Social Responsibility, Innovation, and Sustainable Business, Sharjah, UAE, 2019
• The 13th International Conference on Green, Pervasive and Cloud Computing (GPC-2018), May 11-13, 2018, Hangzhou, China
• The 12th International Conference on Green, Pervasive and Cloud Computing (GPC-2017) May 11-14, 2017, Cetara, Amalfi Coast, Italy
• The 11th International Conference on Green, Pervasive and Cloud Computing (GPC-2016) May 6-8, 2016, Xi'an, China
• The 10th International Conference on Green, Pervasive and Cloud Computing (GPC 2015) Plantation Island (Malolo Lailai), Fiji, May 4-6, 2015.
• Towards Getting Better Results in Advertising: A Semantic Oriented Approach, May 31, 2020
• Towards Making Healthcare Human, Again- A Data Analytics Approach, March 3, 2020
• Blackboard Collaborative learning/Ultra Blackboard, 5th March 2020
• Workshop on active blended learning, 16th Feb. 2020
• Judge - Sharjah Chamber Award for Innovators – 5th International Forum on Innovation and Enterpreneurship, Feb 2020
• Research and Innovation: Breaking the Barrier, Thinking Outside the Box, December 10, 2019
• Using Edumundo, Netherlands Simulations to enhance Student Experience, April 18 2019
• Speaker, Time Management Techniques, March 19, 2019
• Class Time Reconsidered, Active Learning in the University Classroom, Institue of Leadership in Higher Education, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, UAE April 30, 2017
• Organiser, International Forum on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, March 13-15, 2017
• Organiser, Innovation Strategy Workshop November 22-23, 2015
• Organiser, Entrepreneurship Startups Week & Competition December 13-17, 2015
• Speaker, Innovation Through Collaboration lecture at Sharjah Expo, November 24, 2016
• Healthcare by numbers. Keynote speaker at The Second International Conference on Computing and Technology and Information Management (ICCTIM 2015) held at UTHM, Johor, Malaysia, April 21-23, 2015
1. Maree, M., Noor, I., Rabayah, K., Belkhatir, M., & Alhashmi, S. M. (2020). Head Concepts Selection for Verbose Medical Queries Expansion. IEEE Access.
2. Mohammed Maree, Rami Hodrob, Mohammed Belkhatir, and Saadat M. Alhashmi. 2020. A Knowledge-based Model for Semantic Oriented Contextual Advertising. KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems, 14, 5, (2020)
3. Athmay, A Al., Alhashmi, S. M., AlaaAldin, R., The Impact of Information Technology on Practicing Human Resources Management in the Public Sector in the United Arab Emirates, University of Sharjah Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Volume 17, No. 1, (2020)
4. Alhashmi, S.M., Salem, M.; An Exploratory Study of the Information Security Awareness of Business School Students in UAE, International Journal of Business Information Systems(Accepted)
5. Inthiran, A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Ahmed, P.K., 2018. Health Searching Behaviour of Citizens from Countries in the Middle East and North African Region. International Journal of E-Health and Medical Communications (IJEHMC), 9(2), pp.59-73.
6. Shaikh, A.K., Alhashmi, S.M., Parthiban, R. and Nazir, A., 2018. A Fuzzy Rule-Based Optimisation Model for Efficient Resource Utilisation in a Grid Environment Using Proximity Awareness and Semantic Technology. Journal of Information & Knowledge Management, 17(02), p.1850023.
7. Shaikh, A. K., Alhashmi, S. M., & Parthiban, R. (2016). A Proximity and Semantic-Aware Optimisation Model for Sub-Domain-Based Decentralised Resource Discovery in Grid Computing. Journal of Information & Knowledge Management, 1650020.
8. Shaikh AK, Haque, A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Parthiban, R (2015) “ A Novel Optimization Model Based on the Unification of Proximity and Semantic Similarity in Grid Computing” Journal of Software & Systems Development, Vol. 2015, Article ID 926190
9. Inthiran A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Ahmed, P. (2015) “A user Study on the information search behavior of medical students.” Malaysian Journal of Library & Information Science, Volume 20(1): 61-77
10. Orimaye S.O., Alhashmi, S.M., Eu-Gene, S (2015), Performance and trends in recent opinion retrieval techniques. Knowledge Eng. Review 30(1): 76-105
11. Inthiran A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Ahmed, P. (2015) “A Preliminary Study on the Usage of Search Assisting Features When Searching For a Personal Health Task.” Aslib Journal of Information Management 67(2):159-181
o PhD Supervision
• A Novel Grammar-Based Approach to Sentence-Level Contextual Opinion Retrieval for Humans
• Applying advance personalized solutions to the world of Social Networks investigating modern trends and research streams (Complete 2013)
• Collaborative Personalization Using Roles and Contextual Similarity On A Vertical Search Engine
• Ontology-Based Indexing and Retrieval of Multimedia Documents on the WWW (Complete 2012)
• Multiagents-based Pricing structure for Grid Computers (Complete 2012)
• Automatic Weblog Classification using Concept-Category Vectorization And Their Semantic Affiliation
o Industrial/Final Year Projects
• School of Information Technology Automation Project – A Cloud-based Approach (2012)
• Providing end-to-end Solution to a Financial company (Prajna Advisors), 2011
• Grid Computing and Pastry Simulation, 2011
• Grid Computing: An experiment on how CHORD behaves on Grid Resource Management, 2011
• Semantic Meta-Search Engine with Ontology, 2010
• Spy Game, Heartwave Communications Sdn. Bhd, 2010
• Leave Application Project, CUSCAPI Berhad, 2010
• Webpage Classification, 2009
• Pricing Issues in Agent Guided Grid Computing Systems, 2009
• Online Quiz Content Management Systems, JobsBroadway.com Sdn Bhd, 2009
• IT Budget Tracking Application Development Project, Sunway City Berhad, 2009
• Electronic Non-Conformance Report for Suncity property developers - 2007
• PVC Award for Research 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
• Haque, A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Parthiban, R (2010). “A Comparative Economic Approach to Maximize Profit for Providers”, Proceedings of 14th International Business Information Management Association (14th IBIMA), 23-24 June, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 869-881, ISBN: 978-0-9821-4893-8.(Best Paper Award)
I treat my students like professionals. I adopt an open and inclusive approach towards them. This helps students to learn in a relaxed environment. My philosophy is; look for problems and solve them.
My interest in teaching led me to complete Graduate Certificate in Higher Education (GCHE). Since I completed GCHE, I have been invited to give seminars on research-led teaching. In my lectures, I introduced Industry Insight Program for my students, where I invite guests from industry to discuss key themes of the unit. It is done in an informal setting where students can discuss the topic as well as issues in the profession more broadly with the industry guests. Case-based learning is something I often introduce in my classes where students are assigned an industry, and they have to link their learning with the assigned industry and submit reports and presentations to that effect. By the time they finish, they have developed a deep understanding of a particular industry. This encourages them to go outside the classroom and engage in research and talk to people of that industry. This very neatly dovetails with the Industry Insight program.
With so many resources available online, I am focused on bringing this information to the class and thus use more time in actively discussing core issues. I encourage students to form groups and discuss and give feedback to each other. This has proved very effective while at the same time; we are constantly learning how to improve this further both from the feedback of students and best practices available online. I firmly believe that the future of teaching will have a very strong blend of online and offline teaching. This is all good as it will empower students and prepare them better for the ever-changing world.
I also believe that every student should be trained as a researcher. And a good teacher should inspire students and try to emphasize collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, and most importantly communication skills.
Overall, teaching and research are two sides of the same coin. And we need to train the next generation by not just teaching but using the best tools and connecting with them in ways that can inspire them, as friends and mentors.