2015 – till Date - College of Business, University of Sharjah, Sharjah
2013- 2015 Abu Dhabi University, Abu Dhabi, UAE
•Associate Professor of CS & IT
•Research – Grid Computing, Information Retrieval, Supply Chain Management.
•Teaching – Project Management, e-Commerce, Data Mining, Software Engineering, Operating Systems, System Analysis and Design.
2010-2012 Monash University, Sunway Campus
• Senior Lecturer/Head of School
• Member of Academic Board
• Member of Faculty Leadership Group
• Member of Senior Member Group (SMG)
01/2009- Monash University, Sunway Campus
12/2010 • Deputy Head of School, Sunway Campus
• Chair of Campus Advancement Committee
• Chair of Campus Intellectual Property Committee
• Member of Faculty Board Committee
• Chair of School Research and Postgraduate Committee
• Member Faculty Research Committee
• Chief Examiner- Information Technology Strategy and Management
03/2006- Monash University, Sunway Campus
12/2008 Lecturer – School of Information Technology
•Chair of School Research & Postgraduate Committee
•Chair of Campus Intellectual Property committee
•Member Faculty Research Committee
•Member Faculty Graduate Postgraduate Programs Committee
•Member Campus Disciplinary Committee (Academic)
•Member School Education Committee
•Member University Library Committee
•Research Interest – Supply Chain Management, Multi-agents Methodology, Fuzzy Logic, Multimedia Information Retrieval,
•Teaching – Information Systems, Software Engineering, Trading Systems and Electronic Commerce, System Analysis and Design, Operations Management
10/2005 – SUC (Sur University College), Sur, Sultanate of Oman
03/2006 Assistant Professor - Department of Information and Systems Technology (DIST)
•Teaching - Artificial Intelligence, Knowledge Management Systems, Business System, Development and Human Computer Interaction
•Member of the Accreditation Committee of the SUC
•Member of the SUC Marketing Committee
•Member of the SUC Academic Board
12/2002- Sheffield Hallam University, U.K.
02/2003 Research Assistant
•Worked on the Deployment of Agentcities' Project, European Union, 5th Framework Information Society Technology (IST) funding program
•Contributed competently as part of a team, cooperating with team members, and ensuring that individual and group deadlines were met
•Participated significantly in the preparation of the final report on the same
•Liaised with a number of collaborating universities
05/1994- ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation), Gujarat, India.
06/1994 Engineering Trainee
•Undertook summer training in one of the largest petrochemical plants in India
• International Journal of Technology in Small and Medium Enterprises (IJTSME)
• Journal of Innovation Management in Small and Medium Enterprises (JIMSME)
Program Committee Member:
• The 11th International Conference on Green, Pervasive and Cloud Computing (GPC-2016) May 6-8, 2016, Xi'an, China
• The 10th International Conference on Green, Pervasive and Cloud Computing (GPC 2015) Plantation Island (Malolo Lailai), Fiji, May 4-6, 2015.
• 14th IBIMA Conference on Creating Global Economies through Innovation and Knowledge Management, Istanbul, Turkey, 2010
• 13th IBIMA Conference on Creating Global Economies through Innovation and Knowledge Management, Marrakech, Morocco, 2009
• 12th IBIMA Conference on Creating Global Economies through Innovation and Knowledge Management, Malaysia, 2009
• The First International Conference on 'Networked Digital Technologies', (NDT2009) the Czech Republic, 2009
• IEEE INMIC'08
• Australasian Conference on Information Systems (2008)
• SME Conference, 2006
1. Shaikh, A. K., Alhashmi, S. M., & Parthiban, R. (2016). A Proximity and Semantic-Aware Optimisation Model for Sub-Domain-Based Decentralised Resource Discovery in Grid Computing. Journal of Information & Knowledge Management, 1650020.
2. Shaikh AK, Haque, A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Parthiban, R (2015) “ A Novel Optimization Model Based on the Unification of Proximity and Semantic Similarity in Grid Computing” Journal of Software & Systems Development, Vol. 2015, Article ID 926190
3. Inthiran A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Ahmed, P. (2015) “A user Study on the information search behavior of medical students.” Malaysian Journal of Library & Information Science, Volume 20(1): 61-77
4. Orimaye S.O., Alhashmi, S.M., Eu-Gene, S (2015), Performance and trends in recent opinion retrieval techniques. Knowledge Eng. Review 30(1): 76-105
5. Inthiran A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Ahmed, P. (2015) “A Preliminary Study on the Usage of Search Assisting Features When Searching For a Personal Health Task.” Aslib Journal of Information Management 67(2):159-181
6. Haque, A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Parthiban, R. (2014) “An Optimization-based Adaptive Resource Management Framework for Economic Grids: A Switching Mechanism”, Future Generations of Computer Systems
7. Haque, A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Parthiban, R. (2014) “Identifying and Modelling the Strengths and Weaknesses of major Economic Models in Grid Resource Management”, Journal of Grid Computing, Volume 12, Issue 2: 285-302,
8. Shaikh AK, Haque, A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Parthiban, R. (2013), Efficient Resource Provisioning by Means of Sub-Domain Based Ontology and Dynamic Pricing in Grid Computing. Journal of Cloud Computing, Volume 2013Article ID 149313
9. Orimaye S.O., Alhashmi, S.M., Eu-Gene, S. (2013), Can Predicate-Argument Structures be used for Contextual Opinion Retrieval from Blogs? Word Wide Web, Springer, 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s11280-012-0170-8
10. Salim Said Ali Al Kindi, Saadat M. Alhashmi: (2012) Use of Social Networking Sites Among Shinas College of Technology Students in Oman. JIKM 11(1)
11. Inthiran A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Ahmed, P. (2012). “Insights into the Search Behavior of Non-Medical Professionals Based on Task Difficulty and an Evaluation against New Generation Medical Information Retrieval Strategies Rodrigues, Joel J.P.C. "Advancing Medical Practice through Technology: Applications for Healthcare Delivery, Management, and Quality." IGI Global, 2014. 1-361. Web. 19 Jan. 2014. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-4619-3
12. Orimaye S.O., Alhashmi, S.M., Eu-Gene, S. (2012) Performance and Trends in Recent Opinion Retrieval Techniques, The Knowledge Engineering Review Volume 30 Issue 01, pp 76-105, Cambridge University Press
13. Inthiran A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Ahmed, P. (2012). “Collaborative Personalization Strategies for Web Search.” Human IT 11.3: 57–82.
14. Inthiran A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Ahmed, P. (2012). “Medical Information Retrieval Strategies: An Exploratory Study on the Information Retrieval Behaviors of Non-Medical Professionals” International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics. January-March 2012, Vol. 7, No. 1
15. Inthiran A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Ahmed, P. (2012). Medical Students Search Behavior: An Exploratory Survey, Behavioral Computing: Modeling Analysis, Mining and Decision, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Book Chapter)
o PhD Supervision
• A Novel Grammar-Based Approach to Sentence-Level Contextual Opinion Retrieval for Humans
• Applying advance personalized solutions to the world of Social Networks investigating modern trends and research streams (Complete 2013)
• Collaborative Personalization Using Roles and Contextual Similarity On A Vertical Search Engine
• Ontology-Based Indexing and Retrieval of Multimedia Documents on the WWW (Complete 2012)
• Multiagents-based Pricing structure for Grid Computers (Complete 2012)
• Automatic Weblog Classification using Concept-Category Vectorization And Their Semantic Affiliation
o Industrial/Final Year Projects
• School of Information Technology Automation Project – A Cloud-based Approach (2012)
• Providing end-to-end Solution to a Financial company (Prajna Advisors), 2011
• Grid Computing and Pastry Simulation, 2011
• Grid Computing: An experiment on how CHORD behaves on Grid Resource Management, 2011
• Semantic Meta-Search Engine with Ontology, 2010
• Spy Game, Heartwave Communications Sdn. Bhd, 2010
• Leave Application Project, CUSCAPI Berhad, 2010
• Webpage Classification, 2009
• Pricing Issues in Agent Guided Grid Computing Systems, 2009
• Online Quiz Content Management Systems, JobsBroadway.com Sdn Bhd, 2009
• IT Budget Tracking Application Development Project, Sunway City Berhad, 2009
• Electronic Non-Conformance Report for Suncity property developers - 2007
• PVC Award for Research 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
• Haque, A., Alhashmi, S.M. and Parthiban, R (2010). “A Comparative Economic Approach to Maximize Profit for Providers”, Proceedings of 14th International Business Information Management Association (14th IBIMA), 23-24 June, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 869-881, ISBN: 978-0-9821-4893-8.(Best Paper Award)
I treat my students like professionals. I adopt an open and inclusive approach towards them. This helps students to learn in a relaxed environment. My philosophy is; look for problems and solve them.
My interest in teaching led me to complete Graduate Certificate in Higher Education (GCHE). Since I completed GCHE, I have been invited to give seminars on research-led teaching. In my lectures, I introduced Industry Insight Program for my students, where I invite guests from industry to discuss key themes of the unit. It is done in an informal setting where students can discuss the topic as well as issues in the profession more broadly with the industry guests. Case-based learning is something I often introduce in my classes where students are assigned an industry, and they have to link their learning with the assigned industry and submit reports and presentations to that effect. By the time they finish, they have developed a deep understanding of a particular industry. This encourages them to go outside the classroom and engage in research and talk to people of that industry. This very neatly dovetails with the Industry Insight program.
With so many resources available online, I am focused on bringing this information to the class and thus use more time in actively discussing core issues. I encourage students to form groups and discuss and give feedback to each other. This has proved very effective while at the same time; we are constantly learning how to improve this further both from the feedback of students and best practices available online. I firmly believe that the future of teaching will have a very strong blend of online and offline teaching. This is all good as it will empower students and prepare them better for the ever-changing world.
I also believe that every student should be trained as a researcher. And a good teacher should inspire students and try to emphasize collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, and most importantly communication skills.
Overall, teaching and research are two sides of the same coin. And we need to train the next generation by not just teaching but using the best tools and connecting with them in ways that can inspire them, as friends and mentors.