Professor and Dean
College of Computing and Informatics University of Sharjah,UAE
Professor and Associate Dean for Research and Innovation
Honorary Professor (Aug 2021- Present)
Interim Director of the Institute of Artificial Intelligence (since May 2020)
De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom
July 2019-Aug 2021
Professor (Computer Science and Engineering Department)
Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies (Jan 2017 – Jun 2019)
Acting Director of KINDI Center for Computing Research (Aug 2016 – Dec 2016)
College of Engineering, Qatar University, Qatar
Sep 2014 – Jun 2019
Professor (School of Engineering and Computing)
(Secondment at Qatar University, from Oct 2014-Jun2018)
University of the West of Scotland, United Kingdom
Feb 2013-Jun 2018
Visiting Professor University of Tun Hussein Onn, Malaysia
Jan 2011-Aug 2015
Reader in Embedded Systems University of Ulster, United Kingdom Apr 2010-Jan 2013
Visiting Professor University of HENRI POINCARE, France
Oct 2010-Aug 2011
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) Brunel University, United Kingdom
May 2006-Mar 2010
• Consultancy work in the area of video recognition,
Inscentinel Ltd- Rothamsted Research, United Kingdom
• Consultancy work in the area of video content analysis
Miragex LLC, United Kingdom
Nov 2006-Jul 2009
Lecturer (Assistant Professor) Queen’s University Belfast, United Kingdom
Nov 2001-Apr 2006
CONFERENCE CHAIR AND ORGANISATION
Very actively involved in top international conferences and IEEE activities.
• General Co-Chair (IMVIP05, ECVW10, ICM14)
• Technical Program Co-Chair (ICM12, DELTA08, CSITC05)
• Track Chair-Tutorials ASQED, SOCC, BIOCAS, AICCSA
• Member of the Steering Committee (ECVW, WOSSPA)
CONFERENCE TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Involved in more than 50 conferences (PC member, Track chair, steering committee…etc)
CONFERENCE SESSION CHAIR
Chairing more than 20 sessions at international conferences and events (MWSCAS, ICM, IMVIP, BIOCAS, ASQED,AHS, ICECS…etc)
EPSRC-UK, QNRF-Qatar, Czech Science Foundation, USA, Australian Research Council, John Wiley and Sons, IEEE Transactions and Conferences, IET, ACM, Springer, Elsevier…etc.
ATTENDED INDUSTRIAL TRAINING COURSES
Xilinx, Mentor Graphics, TI
INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEES- ADVISORY BOARDS/NETWORKS
IEEE BIOCAS Technical Committee, TTTC, HiPEAC, CDTA, MRSN, VPH NoE
• Member of the exhibition team with Invest NI at CEBit2002 (Hannover, Germany), March 13-20, 2002.
• Exhibition at the European telemedicine conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, 29-30 October 2013.
• Exhibition at the DHEALTH 2014 SHOWCASE, Stirling Management Centre (Stirling University), Scotland, 1st April 2014.
• Securing funding from (more than 35 grants/ over 6 Million USD (£4.5M): NPRP, UREP,EPSRC, British Council, Royal Academy, Royal Society, Consultancy-CAST-KTP with Industry, EU, Qatar Foundation
• Selected: (900K USD from QNRF to develop and implement new pattern recognition algorithms for Gas applications.
• Industrial Projects with: Andor, TWI, Xilinx, Mentor Graphics, Miragex, Inscentinel, NVIDIA, Codeplay
1. Y Himeur, A Alsalemi, F Bensaali, A Amira “Smart power consumption abnormality detection in buildings using micro-moments and improved K-nearest neighbors” International Journal of Intelligent Systems (Accepted). (IF: 10.312).
2. A. Alsalemi, Y. Himeur, F. Bensaali, A. Amira, C. Sardianos, C. Chronis, I. Varlamis, G. Dimitrakopoulos., “A Micro-Moment System for Domestic Energy Efficiency Analysis,” IEEE Systems Journal, pp. 1256-1263, VOL15, March 2021. (IF=3.987).
3. C. Sardianos, I. Varlamis, G. Dimitrakopoulos, D. Anagnostopoulos, A. Alsalemi, F. Bensaali, Y. Himeur, A. Amira, “REHAB-C: Recommendations for Energy HABits Change,” Future Generation Computer Systems, vol. 112, pp. 394–407, Nov. 2020 .
4. A Alsalemi, Y. Himeur, F Bensaali, A. Amira, C. Sardianos, I. Varlamis, G. Dimitrikapoulos “Achieving Domestic Energy Efficiency using Micro-Moments and Intelligent Recommendations” IEEE Access, pp 15047 – 15055, VOL8, January 2020.
5. S. S Esfahani, X. Zhai, M. Chen, A. Amira, F. Bensaali, J. AbiNahed, S. Dakua, G. Younes, A. Baobeid, R. Richardson, P. Coveney “Lattice-Boltzmann interactive blood flow simulation pipeline”, International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, Vol 15, pages 629–639, (2020).
6. A. Alsalemi, L. Tanaka, M. Ogino, M. Al Disi, Y. Alhomsi, F. Bensaali, A. Amira and G. Alinier, “A skills acquisition study on ECMOjo: a screen-based simulator for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation”, Perfusion, SAGE Journals, 35 (2), 110-116, March 2020.
7. M. S. Sharif, M. Abbod, A. Al-bayatti, A. Amira, A. Alakeeh, B. Sanghera “An Accurate Ensemble Classifier for Medical Volume Analysis: Phantom and Clinical PET Study”, IEEE Access, Vol 8, pp 37482-37494, February 2020.
8. H Djelouat, M Al Disi, I Boukhenoufa, A Amira, F Bensaali, C Kotronis “Real-time ECG monitoring using compressive sensing on a heterogeneous multicore edge-device” Microprocessors and Microsystems, Volume 72, pp 1-10, February 2020.
9. O Kerdjidj, N. Ramzan, K. Ghanem, A. Amira, F. Chouireb “Fall detection and human activity classification using wearable sensors and compressed sensing” Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing (Springer), Vol 11, pp 349-361, January 2020.
10. H Djelouat, A Amira, F Bensaali, I Boukhennoufa “Secure compressive sensing for ECG monitoring” Computers & Security, Volume 88, pp 1-8, January 2020.
11. X. Zhai, M. Chen, S. S. Esfahani, A. Amira, F. Bensaali, J. Abinahed, S. Dakua, R. Richardson, P.V. Coveney “Heterogeneous System-on-Chip-Based Lattice-Boltzmann Visual Simulation System” IEEE Systems Journal, Vol 14, NO.2, 1592-1601, June 2020.
12. S.P.Dakua, J. Abinahed, A. Zakaria, S. Balakrishnan, G. Younes, N. Navkar, A. Al-Ansari, X. Zhai, F. Bensaali, A. Amira “Moving object tracking in clinical scenarios: application to cardiac surgery and cerebral aneurysm clipping” International journal of computer assisted radiology and surgery, Volume 14, Issue 12, pp 2165–2176, December 2019.
Ph.D and MPhil THESIS EXAMINATION
• External Examiner for more than 30 PhD examinations (UK, Hong Kong, Qatar, Australia, Ireland, Finland, France)
• External Examiner BEng Course in Electronic and Computer Engineering, and MSc in Electrical Engineering, University of Tun Hussein Onn, Malaysia .
RESEARCH STUDENTS/STAFF SUPERVISION
• Supervise more than 20 PhD students
• 25 (RAs, PostDocs, Visiting Researchers) .
• Best student paper award at IEEE GPECOM 2020 conference, Turkey
• Best presentation award at SCORed 2019 conference, Malaysia
• Best poster and presentation awards at ELSO-SWAT 2017
• 2016 selected success story for NPRP project (at ARC 2016)
• 2016 First place for the best Senior Design Project in GCC region
• 2014 Best PhD paper award, AICCSA conference
• 2013 Best paper award, IEEE ICECS conference
• 2013 QNRF ARC’13 prize for the Best poster presentation
• 2011 Gold Crest Award
• 2010 Best Paper Award in UK-MEC 2010 Conference
• IEEE Communication Prize for the Best MSc project in 2009/2010, Brunel University
• 2008 VARIAN Prize of Appreciation by the Swiss Society of Radiobiology and Medical Physics (SGSMP) for the best paper impacting Radiation Oncology
• 2007 Brunel Vice-Chancellor's Prize for best Doctoral Research
• Cooperative Award for Science and Technology (CAST) to develop software tools for Andor Technologies’ CCTV cameras, 2005-2006
• Two prestigious travel scholarships Awarded by Celoxica Ltd (Oxford, UK), 2002-2003
• 2007 Thomas Gerald Award (Scholarship for PhD project)
• “Queen’s University Belfast Scholarship” received for pursuing PhD studies at QUB, 1999, Belfast, United Kingdom
• Taking administration roles at 7 Universities (UoS-UAE, QU-Qatar), (QUB, Brunel, Ulster, UWS, DMU-UK,)
Key roles: Dean, Associate Dean, Institute Director, Leader of the Visual Communication Cluster, EU coordinator for NIBEC Research Centre, Chair of the Research and Graduate Studies group, Chair of the Research Marketing Review group, Industrial Placement Tutor, Course director for UG/ PG programmes, Internationalization operation group…etc.