Group Research Goals and Objectives
The long-term goals of the Gene Editing & Therapy research group are to advance biomedical research at the University of Sharjah and to develop the infrastructure and the expertise for future clinical applications involving highly promising and fast-growing gene-editing technologies. To this end, we propose 5 objectives:
- Develop CRISPR-Cas9-based platform to allow with high accuracy and effectiveness:
- The identification of novel therapeutic target genes in various types of cancer using genome-wide screen with sgRNA libraries.
- The development of novel therapeutic approaches by targeting the products of identified genes.
- Employ CRISPR system to correct, modify, or delete aberrant genes to address their functional roles in various human diseases including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular or respiratory diseases, among others.
- Identifying key signaling networks of cell growth metabolism and pathogenesis that are perturbed in diseases such as cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular or respiratory diseases.
- Developing new methodology to deliver gene-editing molecules into different tissues to precisely target and correct genetic defects using ultrasound-targeted microbubble and photodynamic targeted technologies.
- Develop the infrastructure for gene therapy that provides support for various research groups at the Research Institute of Medical & Health Sciences (RIMHS) and allow the RIMHS to acquire the knowledge and the expertise in such highly advanced gene editing technology that would serve as a basis for future clinical applications.