This research group was approved in Nov. 2019. Since that time, all its group members become involved in several research topics (as will be listed later in this form). In brief, the research topics covered by the group members include theoretical and experimental analyses for several subjects related to the smart grid, microgrid, and distributed generation systems. In addition, the group members have the intention to build prototypes for some systems related to the microgrid and distributed generation systems. These prototypes are utilized to conduct research in the topics included in the members' activities such as operation, control, protection, parameters estimation, and optimization for smart grid and microgrid.
- Our vision is to conduct quality research at the system/power level for the smart grid and microgrids and to provide collaboration with external bodies.
- This targeted research is aligned with the university strategic plan for the development of the research direction in energy processing such as generation, transmission, distribution, control and utilization.
Our mission has several sequential stages to realize the above vision:
Objectives and goals
- Establish a research entity (lab/place) for power systems at which the research activities can be easily conducted. This requires buying some equipment/software research activities.
- Recruit manpower (RA, GRA, Post Doctors, research fellows) to help for conducting research.
- Collaborate (nationally and internationally) with external research bodies and power companies, (SEWA-DEWA).
To fulfill its mission, the SG research group has the following goals and objectives:1- To Provide Advanced Research and Innovation in:
- Distributed generation systems
- Protection of smart grids
- Operation and control of microgrids
- Multilevel inverters
- Advanced drive systems
- EM wave scattering from two and three dimensional bodies, propagation along waveguides
2- Applying the related projects to real-life scenarios
- Economical energy usage: As the Smart Grid will allow having the capacity of more efficient electricity markets and electricity trades, implement the optimized configuration of resources, increase the efficiency of the electricity grid, and reduce electricity grid wastage.
- Optimization: As one of the research areas and interests in this research group is the utilization of optimization methods in power systems, therefore, when applying this concept in real-life scenarios, it will optimize assets, reduce costs and operate efficiently.
3- Provide Training, Consultancy, and Community Services:
- Provide specialized training in power systems.
- Provide specialized training in power electronics.
- Provide specialized training in advanced drive systems.
- Provide specialized training on photovoltaic (PV) systems.
- Provide specialized consultancy services.
4- Disseminate Knowledge and Pursue Community Outreach:
- Organize professional courses, workshops, and conferences.
- Provide relevant publishing and research findings to community.