Sign In

Useful Information

​What can the University calendar tell you? 
It is important for students to have a look at the University calendar to learn about important dates pertaining to the beginning of classes, drop/add periods, examination times and vacations periods. 
How many credit hours can students study per semester?
A student may enroll in not less than (12) credit hours and not more than (18). This flexibility allows students to complete their graduation requirements early to start their job market search.
Students may enroll in more than 18 credits if they have a high CGPA or if they are a graduating. During the summer session, students may enroll in three courses if their GPA is at least (3.60).
Can students register for the University online? 
Continuing students may register online through the University's website. Online registration is faster and allows students to participate in Early Registration as well. New students and students on academic probation are not permitted to register online.
How do students drop and add courses?
Once registered, students may drop or add courses in accordance with University regulations. Students should inform their advisors and seek their guidance. The drop/add period runs through the first week of classes only. During the Summer Session, the Drop/Add period extendds for the first three (3) days of class only.
Is attendance compulsory?
Attending classes, whether theoretical or practical courses, is considered essential for students to remain in good standing at the University. Students missing 20% of the total number of the credit hours assigned for each course are not permitted to take their final exams for these course/s and shall receive a grade of 'F' for the course/s. Students reaching 20% in their absences shall be informed by mail or a notice reflecting such will be posted at the University.
To whom may I speak about my academic or personal affairs?  
Each department assigns an academic advisor to each student. Students should regularly consult their advisors and seek their help when the need arises. Students may also seek academic, social and psychological advice from the Student Success Center in the Deanship of Student Affairs.
Are lockers available at the University?
You may rent a locker where you can keep your books and other things. Please see the College secretary to pay a locker deposit of AED50.
How many University compulsory and elective courses are required?
Students are required to successfully complete University elective and compulsory course requirements in addition to their department and college course requirements in order to graduate. There are (12) University compulsory course requirements and (12) University elective course requirements. Students failing their compulsory University course requirements are required to repeat the course/s until they pass. Students failing elective course requirements may either repeat the same course or take another elective.
How can I become a member of the Student Union or any of the student societies or clubs?
The two Students Unions (men's and women's) represent the students and convey their opinions and views to the Higher Administration. Members are elected annually and any student may nominate themselves to be a member of the union. Students may also participate in any of the subcommittees that the Student Union may later form. Students may also join UOS cultural societies and clubs through the Deanship of Student Affairs on both campuses.
What is the Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)?
A student's CGPA represents his/her grade point average for all courses studied at the University.
How is a course grade interpreted into a letter grade and GPA points?
(A) Excellent
85-less than 90
(B+) Very good +
80-less than 85
(B) Very Good
75-less than 80
(C+) Good +
70-less than 75
(C) Good
65-less than 70
(D+) Satisfactory +
60- less than 65
(D) Satisfactory
Less than 60
(F) Fail

What is academic probation or an academic warning?
When students receive a Grade Point Average (GPA) of (2.00) or below at the end of any semester, they are issued a warning to inform them that their GPA is below the acceptable level. Students who have received an academic warning will need to exert more efforts to raise their GPA above (2.00) and cannot register for more than 12 credit hours. Students are required to raise their GPA by the end of the following semester or they will be issued a second warning. Students are permitted to repeat courses to raise their GPA provided the grade in a given course is not higher than a (C+).
Can students request the suspension of their studies (voluntarily)?
Students who have completed at least one semester may apply to suspend their coursework provided that they apply within the specified time limit. A student may suspend his study for a period of not more than four consecutive semesters.
When might a student's registration be suspended (compulsory suspension)?
Students may have their registration suspended for excessive unexcused absences but are permitted to resume their studies in a later semester upon the approval of their dean and by reapplying to the Registration Department in accordance with the University's by-laws and regulations.
Are there any exceptions to the regulations regarding students with a low CGPA and academic probation?
No exceptions are permitted for students with a low CGPA except in very rare cases determined by a special committee formed by the Chancellor. Another exception pertains to students who have completed the study of 90 credits in their majors with a CGPA of (1.95) and having received their fifth academic probation warning. Such students are granted one semester to raise their CGPA.
How do students drop, add or withdraw from courses without failing the course? What should a student do in such cases?
Students are permitted to drop and add one or more courses with the  approval of their advisor during the following periods only: During the first week of the semester and the during the first three days of the summer session. 
Withdrawing from a course must be done in the period specified in the academic calendar.
Students may withdraw from one or more courses with the approval of their advisors after the drob/add period, in which case they will receive a letter grade  of (W) or 'withdraw'. This may be done within the first ten weeks of the fall or spring semesters.
What should students do to prepare themselves for the final examinations?
Students should prepare for final examinations as follows:
1. Settle all financial payments due.
2. Present their University ID card at examinations. Students without their University ID will not be permitted to take exams.
3. Abide by the University regulations pertaining to examinations and avoid cheating and any other activity that may disrupt the exam hall.
What happens if a student misses an exam and has an acceptable excuse?
Student missing their final examination/s may apply for a grade of 'incomplete' (I) for the course/s by presenting an excuse for their exam/s missed to the relevant College Council. If approved, such students are required to take their makeup exam/s during the first two weeks of the following semester. If students do not makeup their exam/s by the end of this period, the College Council may consider them to have withdrawn from the course/s.such students will receive a letter grade of (W) to be recorded in their transcripts. Students shall otherwise receive a grade of (F) for their missed final/s.
What are the students' levels at the university?
- Freshman: a student who has not completed more that 30 credit hours
- Sophomore: a student who has completed the study of 31-64 credit hours
- Junior: a student who has completed the study of  65-98 credit hours
- Senior: a student who has completed the study of 99-130 credit hours
- Senior: a student who has completed the study of  131 credit hours or more

Is it possible to transfer from other universities to the University of Sharjah?
Yes, and in accordance with the following conditions:
1. The student should have successfully completed the study of at least two semesters or one whole year in a recognized university and his/her academic standing should not be less than Good (2.50) points out of 4.00.
2. The student should meet the university admission conditions and the special requirements of the college to which he wishes to transfer.
3. The maximum number of credit hours that may be accepted for transfer from a recognized university within the framework of the study plans at the university is 60 in all colleges except the College of Engineering, the College of Pharmacy and the College of Health Sciences where more than 70 credit hours may be accepted.
Can a student transfer from one college to another at the university?
A student may transfer from one college to another after completing the study of at least 15 credit hours and in a period of not more than  two weeks following the final exams of a regular semester (Fall or Spring). However, a student may not change his college or major voluntarily more than once throughout his study at the university. A student may not transfer to a department from which s/he was obligatorily transferred because of academic probations.
A student may change his/her major two times only throughout his study at the university.
Obligatory transfer:
- A student shall be obligatorily transferred when his/her CGPA falls below 1.00 point at the end of any semester. In such a case, the student may not come back to this specialization.
- A student shall be transferred from his major with a decision from the college council if he is given two consecutive academic probations due to his/her low CGPA.
- A student shall be transferred if s/he fails the intensive English program more than once.
What do the following terms mean?
- Fail (F): this means that the student obtains a grade less than 60 (1.00 out of 4.00) in a course.
- Incomplete (I): when a student misses the final exam for a legitimate and acceptable reason.
- Withdraw (W): when a student withdraws from a course within the prescribed period for withdrawal.
- Fail for Absent (FA): If the absences reach (20%) the student shall be barred from sitting for the final examination(s).
When may a student be dismissed from the University?
A student may be dismissed from the university in any of the following cases:
1. Violating the university By-laws and regulations pertaining to housing, examinations, general conduct, or when a disciplinary penalty is issued against a student to this effect.
2. Completing the maximum permissible period of study, which is 15 regular semesters in the colleges of medicine, engineering, pharmacy and health sciences and 13 regular semesters in the other colleges.
3. Receiving the 3rd academic probation/warning after having made use of all other chances to raise his/her CGPA and remove the probation status:
- Receiving three consecutive academic warnings while studying in the same specialization,
- Receiving five inconsecutive academic warnings throughout his study at the university,
- Receiving two academic probations in the major to which s/he transferred after having already received two other probations in the earlier specialization.,
- Obtaining a CGPA of less that 1.00 point more than once throughout his/her study at the university.

Grants and Financial Assistance
- The university offers different forms of financial assistance to the students including grants and fees deduction
- Deductions for siblings may amount to 10%.
Students who are academically distinguished shall get fee deductions in each semester as follows:
- Students who obtain an average of 90% or higher in the general secondary examination are entitled to fees deduction up to 50% in the fist semester only.
- Academically distinguished students, except the English language center students,  are also given deductions according to the following conditions:
 - After successfully completing 15 credit hours,
 - Obtaining a semester average of not less than 3.00 points,
 - Provided that the student is not fully sponsored by another institution
The university offers financial assistance to special needs students who regularly attend classes in light of the same conditions mentioned earlier.  The university may withdraw these grants in certain conditions.
How can I get a car permit to enter the campus?
No student may enter the university campus by his/her car unless s/he gets a special permit from the Security office in the Main Building. In such a case, a student should fill in a form and present the required documents: University ID, Car ownership document, driver's license. A female who applies to get the permit for the fist time should be accompanied by her father or guardian.
Permits for leaving the campus? How can I get one?
A permit is a card that enables a female student to leave the campus  accompanied with her friend. She can leave with a friend or in a taxi. She needs to fill in a form in the presence of her father or guardian. The documents required are: University ID for the student and her friend,  copy of the driver's license and car ownership document.
Is there a child care center?
Married students may benefit from the services of the University Child Nursery. The nursery accepts children from the age of two months up to less that five years. The nursery is managed by specialized female teachers.
Students are expected to
- Visit the offices of the Deanship of Students' Affairs in the Students' Center to seek any help they may need,
- Observer the regulations of not smoking on campus in accordance with the Decree of His Highness, Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al-Qassimi, the Supreme President of the University,
- Take care of the university facilities 
- Observe the rules of good conduct regarding appearance, clothing, and general behavior.
For more information pertaining to your university affairs, you can:
Have a look at the Students' Guide that contains all the By-laws and regulations of interest to the students. It also contains information about student activities, clubs and societies. You can also visit the University website: . 
For consultation or seeking help, you can communicate with the following:
- Office of the Dean of Students' Affairs in the Men's and Women's colleges
- The two advisors in the Students' Success Center on both campuses,
- Your academic advisor
- Head of your department 
- Officers in charge of the Students Activities Department on both campuses
- Department of Admission and Registration 
- Dormitories advisors
- Finance Department 
Student's general Conduct
Students who join the university for the first time have come into a new stage of their lives that entails learning certain rules and observing certain regulations pertaining to other people on campus and outside. Therefore, students are encouraged to behave responsibly with regard to dealing with others and with regard to their study. Life at the university requires a high level of responsibility, positiveness and participation in the various activities that the University organizes.
We hope that our students will abide by the regulations of the university and avoid doing anything that may negatively affect their student status.
No Smoking on Campus
Students need to know that smoking is not allowed in all the facilities of the university. The University Bylaws state: smoking of any form or type is strictly forbidden in all the facilities of the University including buildings, halls, and outdoor areas.
General Appearance
Students are expected to respect the university environment which includes academic and social aspects. Therefore, each student enrolled at the university should wear appropriate clothes that are compatible with the values and principles of the community.
Furthermore, the University implements the Law of Modesty (ihtisham) that is effective in Sharjah.  Students can wear any clothing as long as they do  not contradict the values of the community and violate its traditions and conventions.
Improper, transparent and tight short garments or shoes are considered a violation of the university conventions. Therefore, the university urges all students, male and female​ to observe the law of modesty regarding clothes.
Unclean or unironed garments are a sign of disrespect and indifference to the university conventions. Students need to put on their white gowns while working in labs or clinics during training. These gowns are not allowed in public places at the university.