The University of Sharjah was established in 1997 with the aim and vision to contribute to
the qualities shared by renowned universities around the world. The education and research programs we offer tend to be comprehensive and multi-disciplinary....
Admission Open for Fall Semester 2020-2021
UoS offers 107 programs across multiple academic disciplines.
Courses are offered in a variety of fields ranging from Sharia and Law to Health Sciences, Medicine, Fine Arts and Design, Engineering and Communication. We also offer a wide range of degree programs at the diploma, BSc/BA, MSc/MA, and PhD levels as well as the Executive MBA (EMBA) program.
The Office of International Relations is the strategic platform for coordinating the efforts of the units, offices and colleges at the University of Sharjah in establishing and advancing international collaborations and partnerships with partner universities and institutions worldwide...
The University of Sharjah is a residential university with over 3,403 students living on campus. Students have access to extraordinary campus resources and a wide range of cultural and social activities and opportunities.
Everything from food and athletics to healthcare is available within a short walk and at reasonable prices and convenient hours. Our two sports complexes provide facilities for sports of all types, including swimming, tennis and football.
1. The Building Operations and Maintenance Sustainability Circle (BOMSC) aims to provide leadership in sustainable operations and maintenance of University of Sharjah (UoS) campuses, lands, buildings and equipment that will align with the goals of the sustainable strategic initiatives.
2. Develop new and undertake major renovations of occupied facilities that would meet or exceed the Certified Rating of the LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Rating System, when feasible.
3. Implement sustainable building principles in all new and existing buildings to achieve measurable life cycle cost savings.
4. Support and promote sustainable building principles and operational initiatives, including energy reduction, water conservation and improved air quality.
1. Measuring the progress in the achievable level under the LEED® rating system.
2. Estimating the save in energy, cost, and detrimental environmental flows after various awareness strategies applied to the university stakeholders.
3. Identifying the number of activities performed to raise awareness in sustainable operation and maintenance (such as seminars, talks, workshops, and alike).
- Different events and seminars were conducted that are related to sustainable building operations and maintenance and directed to students, staff and faculty members in the university.
1- Indoor Air Quality
- The members of BOMSC will assure and confirm that work and learn in the buildings of UoS are with a high standard of indoor environmental quality. Cleaning chemicals used on campus comply with the Green Cleaning Standard. Reported air quality issues are investigated thoroughly to determine if air testing is necessary. The continues to incorporate the use of carbon monoxide level monitoring in occupied spaces and monitors for carbon monoxide in all residential living spaces on campus.
2- Reduce energy
- The members of BOMSC will assure and provide that advice to the University management that the building A/C systems have methods to reduce unnecessary airflow in times of low occupancy by the use of occupancy sensors, CO2 monitoring and scheduling of VAV airflows through the Building Automation systems. They also can shut down systems completely when not necessary. Existing systems are retrofitted under these same guidelines. Lighting systems include the installation of sensors and controls to detect occupancy and reduce output during unoccupied times. The LED lighting is used in all new installations and used to replace all fluorescent lights as they burn out.
3- Cleaner energy sources
- BOMSC will assure and provide that advice that the UoS continues to evaluate the use of renewable energy sources on campus.
4- Protect the Environment
- BOMSC will check continuously and provide the advice that the campus grounds are maintained by regular maintenance and upkeep of the lawns, gardens, upland areas and green roofing.
5- Waste Reduction
- BOMSC will assure and provide the advice that the amount of waste materials is reduced by reusing products that are repurposed. Products that cannot be repurposed are recycled in a manner that is most beneficial and conducive for the environment. The UoS continues to recycle, computers, electronics, batteries, ink cartridges, fluorescent light bulbs, and hazardous materials.
6- Energy Performance
- BOMSC will assure and provide the advice that the building metering is used on electric, improving building efficiencies and system operations by Benchmarking consumption. Energy audits and retro-commissioning are performed to identify energy-related improvements. A comprehensive Equipment Maintenance plan is followed to maintain equipment at peak performance.
7- Water reduction
- BOMSC will assure and provide the advice that all campus buildings are required to have low flow/water saving fixtures. The University uses native plantings throughout the campus to reduce the need for irrigation.
8- Outdoor Air Quality
- BOMSC will assure and provide the advice that all the outdoor air quality surrounding the campus will continue to be improved by the reduction of harmful emissions by converting campus equipment to cleaner fuel sources and by reducing equipment operating times utilizing schedules, temperature set-backs controls and energy recovery systems. Reduction of emissions from vendor and UoS owned vehicles is accomplished by encouraging and enforcement of clean new vehicle technologies such as electric and hybrid vehicles.
P. O. Box 27272 Sharjah, UAE, Tel:
+971 6 5585000,
Fax: +971 6 5585099, Email: