1. English Language Proficiency Test
Upon admission to UoS
and prior to course registration, all students admitted to UoS (new, transfer
and bridging) must demonstrate a level of English proficiency consistent with
the requirement of their college. Students can choose one of
the alternative exams listed below for proof of proficiency.
Students can now register for the below exams starting this month (June 2020), for more information please click here .
First: English Medium Majors
* College of Sciences, Engineering, Health Sciences, Business Administration, Fine Arts and Design, Medicine, Dental Medicine, Pharmacy, and Computing & Informatics.
* English Language and Literature, International Relations and Museum Studies and Art History programs in the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
* Mass Communication program (English track) in the College of Communication.
|Test Type||Minimum Required Score||Notes|
|Paper-Based TOEFL||500||The exam offered by University of Sharjah, AMIDEAST Dubai and Abu Dhabi only.|
- Students who obtained a score less than "5.0" in one of the IELTS Academic skills will be registered in an Intensive English course relevant to that skill.
- Students accepted in the College of Medicine, Dental Medicine, Pharmacy or Health Sciences are not allowed to register for the program courses until they obtain a score of "5.0" in each IELTS skill or pass the relevant skill course in the Languages Institute at UoS.
|EmSAT||1400||Students who scored less than "1400" (1225-1375) will be registered in Listening and Speaking Skills courses at the University.|
|PTE (Academic)||42||Students who scored less than "42" (36-41) will be registered in skills courses at the University.|
Second: Arabic Medium Majors
* Mass Communication programs (Arabic tracks) in the College of Communication: Radio and Television, Journalism and Graphic Design and Multimedia.
* Public Relations (the required score must be obtained during the first year).
* Early Childhood Education (the required score must be obtained during the first year).
|Test Type||Minimum Required Score||Notes|
|Paper-Based TOEFL||450||The exam offered by University of Sharjah, AMIDEAST Dubai and Abu Dhabi only.|
- Certificates older than two years are not accepted.
- Students who couldn't obtain the required score in any of the above listed English Proficiency tests, will be enrolled in an "Intensive English Program" course, in which their English level will be determined by the Languages Institute at UoS.
- Students must submit the original English language proficiency certificate to the Languages Institute at UoS for verification and approval.
- The UoS reserves the right to require students to attend an interview in the Languages Institute. Students may be required to take a further in-house test to ensure their scores are consistent with their English Language proficiency.
2. Personal Interview for College of
(In view of the current circumstances due to the CoVID-19 pandemic, and to facilitate the admission process for our new students, the interview have been cancelled for Fall Semester 2020\2021) .
Applicants to the
College of Communication are required to sit for a personal interview with
College representatives before admission.
3. Personal Interview and Admission Test for English Language and Literature Program:
(In view of the current circumstances due to the CoVID-19 pandemic, and to facilitate the admission process for our new students, the interview and admission test have been cancelled for Fall Semester 2020\2021) .
Students who studied
non-Arabic medium curricula and admitted to the Department of English Language
and Literature in the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences are
required to pass an Arabic language proficiency test and a personal interview.
4. Mathematics and Physics Placement Test for Engineering Programs:
- Students admitted to one of the Engineering programs must take a placement
test for Mathematics and Physics.
- Students passing these tests are eligible to take Math and Physics courses,
and it is not necessary for them to take remedial courses in these two
- A student failing in any of these tests, is required to take a remedial
course in that subject. A remedial course is treated as any other course. If a
student fails the course he/she is required to repeat it.
- Students holding "General Stream" high school certificates will register in the "Qualification Program" course for Science subjects in the first semester, therefore they are not required to register or attend the Math and Physics placement test.
To view admission examination dates for Fall Semester 2020/2021 click here .