- University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA,
Ph.D., Metallurgical Engineering, August 1990
- University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA,
M.S., Metallurgical Engineering, August 1986
- National Polytechnic Institute of Algiers/University of Science & Technology of Algiers, Algeria
Engineer Degree, Metallurgy, June 1983
- Professor (Sept 2018- present)
Head of Department, Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, UAE,
- Professor (2012- 2018)
Department of Mechanical Engineering, KFUPM, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- Visiting Research Professor (Sep 2012 – Dec 2012)
Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA
- Associate Professor (2008 - 2011)
Department of Mechanical Engineering, KFUPM, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer (2002 - 2008)
Department of Engineering & Technology School of Engineering & Built Environment, University of Wolverhampton, U.K.
- Post Doctorate/Senior Research Fellow/Lecturer (1991- 2001)
Department of Materials & Metallurgical Engineering Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium.
- Teaching & Research Assistant (Sept 1986 – Aug 1990)
Department of Materials Science and Engineering University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
1. Tahar Laoui (PI), Advanced dental implants manufactured by Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) process, funded by EU (INTAS), Project No. 99-1559, 2000-2002
2. Tahar Laoui (PI), Development of a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) for 1st-year students taking Materials Science course, funded by UK Center for Materials Education (UKCME), Liverpool, UK, 2004.
3. Tahar Laoui (PI), Implementation of Problem Based Learning (PBL) approach in Materials related course, by UK Center for Materials Education (UKCME), Liverpool, UK, 2004.
4. Tahar Laoui (PI), Knowledge Transfer Partnership project with Aldridge Piling Equipment Co. (UK), funded by UK Government, 2007.
5. Tahar Laoui (PI), Dental implants: patent application, market research & biological assessment, funded by Mercia Spinner - UK, 2008.
6. Tahar Laoui (PI), Industrial Case Award Studentship – Development of high-performance tribological coatings for deposition onto hip joint prostheses, funded by Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) - UK, 2006-2008. Saudi Arabia (KFUPM).
7. Tahar Laoui (CI), Exploring a manufacturing route to produce WC-based microtool with a nanostructured material, SABIC Project, funded by Deanship of Scientific Research, DSR (KFUPM), 2009-2010.
8. Tahar Laoui (PI), “Development of high performance advanced WC-based hardmetal nanocomposites for cutting/drilling applications”, funded by National Science, Technology and Innovation Plan (NSTIP)-KACST, Project No. 08-ADV-64, 2010-2012.
9. Tahar Laoui (PI), “Advanced bio-inert ceramic filter materials with graded macro/micro/nanoporous structure”, funded by National Science, Technology and Innovation Plan (NSTIP)-KACST, Project No. 08-ADV-70, 2010-2012.
10. Tahar Laoui (CI), “Development of Aluminum Based Nanocomposites through Power Metallurgy and Novel Sintering Technologies for Structural andTribological Applications”, funded by King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) under the Annual Program Grants, Project No. ARP 28-122, 2010-2012.
11. Tahar Laoui (CI), “Development of High-Performance CNTs and SiC Reinforced Metal Matrix Nanocomposites for Pistons Applications, funded by KFUPMCenter of Excellence in Nanotechnology (CENT), Project No. CENT NT-04-2008, 2010-2012.
12. Tahar Laoui (CI), “Effect of Radiation Vulcanization and Conventional Vulcanization on the Mechanical and Physical Properties of Natural Rubber/Carbon Nanotubes Nanocomposites”, funded by National Science, Technology and Innovation Plan (NSTIP)-KACST, Project No. 09-ADV789-04, 2011-2013.
13. Tahar Laoui (CI), Experimental Investigation of Heat Transfer Characterization for CNT-Nanofluid in Heat Exchangers, funded by National Science, Technology and Innovation Plan (NSTIP)-KACST, Project No. 09-NAN758-04, 2012-2014.
14. Tahar Laoui (CI), Development of Nitrogen Modified CNTs as Pt-Free Catalyst for Fuel Cell Applications, funded by National Science, Technology and Innovation Plan (NSTIP)-KACST, Project No. 10-ENE1375-04, 2012-2014.
15. Tahar Laoui (CI), Multi-Scale Design of Next Generation Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membranes for Seawater Desalination, Joint Research Collaboration between KFUPM and MIT (USA) - Mechanical Engineering Departments, Project No. CW-5, funded by KFUPM, 2009-2014.
16. Tahar Laoui (CI), Processing and characterization of SiAlON-based ceramic nanocomposites reinforced with SiC and WC nanoparticles for cutting tool and wear resistance applications, funded by National Science, Technology and Innovation Plan (NSTIP)-KACST, Project No. 12-ADV2411-04, Sept 2013 – Aug 2016.
17. Tahar Laoui (PI), “Novel Nanostructured Membranes for Seawater
Desalination”, Joint Research Collaboration between KFUPM and MIT (USA) - Mechanical Engineering Departments, Project No. R10-CW-09, funded by KFUPM-MIT Collaboration Center, Sept 2009 – Aug 2016.
18. Tahar Laoui (PI), “Development of ceramic-based membranes reinforced with bare/modified carbon nanotubes for water treatment applications”, funded by National Science, Technology and Innovation Plan (NSTIP)-KACST, Project No.13-ADV2184-04, Sept 2015 – Feb 2018, Budget: 1,923,859 SAR
19. Tahar Laoui (PI), “Synthesis and Characterization of Micro and Nano Carbon Materials Coated with Polyelectrolyte for Removal of Heavy Metals from Water”, funded by National Science, Technology and Innovation Plan (NSTIP)-KACST, Project No. 13-ADV161-04, March 2014 – Aug 2017, Budget: 1,814,800 SAR22
20. Tahar Laoui (PI), “Removal of heavy metals using novel nanocatalyst coated on carbon nanotubes surface”, funded by Deanship of Scientific Research, DSR (KFUPM), March 2015 – Feb 2018, Budget: 300,000 SAR
21. Tahar Laoui (PI), “Investigation of tribological properties of micro/nanosized WC-Co hardmetals prepared by Spark Plasma Sintering process at elevated temperatures”, funded by Deanship of Scientific Research, DSR (KFUPM), Sept 2015 – Feb 2018, Budget: 299,800 SAR.
22. Tahar Laoui (PI), “Development of electrospun nanofiber membranes for oil water separation”, funded by Deanship of Scientific Research, DSR (KFUPM), April 2016 – August 2018, Budget: 284,300 SAR.
1. J.P. Kruth, T. Laoui, “Selective Laser Sintering: State-of-the-art” International Journal of Electrical Machining, No. 6, pp. 7-17 (2001).
2. E.C. Santos, M. Shiomi, K. Osakada, T. Laoui, “Rapid Manufacturing of metal components by laser forming”, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture” 46, pp. 1459-68 (2006).
3. P.J. Bartolo, H. A. Almeida, R. A. Rezende, T. Laoui, B. Bidanda,“Advanced processes to fabricate scaffolds for tissue engineering”, Virtual Prototyping & Bio-manufacturing in Medical Applications, Edited by B. Bidanda and P.J. Bartolo, Springer, New York, Chap. 8, pp. 149-170 (2008).
4. Jongho Lee, Tahar Laoui, Rohit Karnik, “Nanofluidic transport governed by the liquid/vapour interface”, Nature Nanotechnology 9, pp. 317-323 (2014)
5. Arsalan Khalid, Abdulhadi A. Al-Juhani, Othman Charles Al-Hamouz, Tahar Laoui, Zafarullah Khan, Muataz Ali Atieh, “Preparation and properties of nanocomposite polysulfone/multi-walled carbon nanotubes membranes for desalination”, Desalination 367, pp. 134-144 (2015).
6. Ihsanullah, Adnan M. Al-Amer, Tahar Laoui, Aamir Abbas, Nasser Al-Aqeeli, Faheemuddin Patel, Marwan Khraisheh, Muataz Ali Atieh, Nidal Hilal, “Fabrication and antifouling behaviour of a carbon nanotube membrane”, Materials and Design 89, pp. 549-558 (2016)
7. Arsalan Khalid, Ahmed Ibrahim, Othman Charles S. Al-Hamouz, Tahar Laoui, Abdelbaki Benamor, Mautaz Ali Atieh “Fabrication of polysulfone nanocomposite membranes with silver-doped carbon nanotubes and their antifouling performance”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 134, issue 15, (2017).
8. Ihsanullah, Faheemuddin Patel, Majeda Khraisheh, Muataz Atieh, Tahar Laoui, “Aluminum oxide impregnated carbon nanotube membranes for the removal of cadmium from aqueous solution”, Materials, 10, 1144, pp 1-14 (2017).
9. Ahmed Ibrahim, Ghaith Nathreen, Sultan Akhtar, Feras M. Kafieh, Tahar Laoui “Study of the impact of chemical etching on Cu surface morphology, graphene growth and transfer on SiO2/Si substrate”, Carbon 123, 402-414 (2017).
10. Doojoon Jang, Juan-Carlos Idrobo, Tahar Laoui, and Rohit Karnik, “Water and Solute Transport Governed by Tunable Pore Size Distributions in Nanoporous Graphene Membranes”, ACS Nano, 11 (10), pp 10042–10052 (2017)
11. HK Shahzad, MA Hussein, F Patel, N Al-Aqeeli, MA Atieh, T. Laoui, “Synthesis and Characterization of Alumina-CNT Membrane for Cadmium Removal from Aqueous Solution”, Ceramics International 44, pp. 17189-17198 (2018)
12. RMA Khan, BA Ahmed, MM Al-Malki, AS Hakeem, T. Laoui, “Synthesis of hard and tough calcium stabilized α-sialon/SiC ceramic composites using nano-sized precursors and spark plasma sintering”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 757, pp. 200-208 (2018)
13. Abdelkader, B.A., Antar, M.A., Laoui, T., Khan, Z., “Development of graphene oxide-based membrane as a pretreatment for thermal seawater desalination”, Desalination 465, pp. 13-24 (2019)
14. Naseeb, N., Mohammed, A.A., Laoui, T., Khan, Z., “A novel PAN-GO-SiO2 hybrid membrane for separating oil and water from emulsified mixture”, Materials 12(2), 212 (2019)
15. Sultan Akhtar, Sadaqat Ali, Feras M Kafiah, Ahmed Ibrahim, Asif Matin, Tahar Laoui, “Preparation of graphene-coated anodic alumina substrates for selective molecular transport”, Carbon Letters, p. 1-11 (2019)
16. Muhammad Umar Azam, Bilal Anjum Ahmed, Abbas Saeed Hakeem, Hafiz Muzammil Irshad, Tahar Laoui, Muhammad Ali Ehsan, Faheemuddin Patel, Fazal Ahmad Khalid, “Tribological behaviour of alumina-based nanocomposites reinforced with uncoated and Ni-coated cubic boron nitride”, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, Available online 23 August 2019 (2019), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2019.06.050
- Best Poster Presentation (1st place-post graduate level) at the 5th Water Arabia Conference & Exhibition, 17-19 Oct 2017, Khobar, Saudi Arabia. Poster presented by MS student Fatai A. Olabemiwo.
- Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding Students’ Advising during KFUPM 8th Students Forum, 4-5 October 2017.
- Applied Energy 2016 Highly Cited Review Paper, awarded by Elsevier in 2017, for the paper published in Applied Energy 161, pp 225–255 (2016).
- Award of Excellence in Research for the Year 2016-17, awarded by KFUPM
- Award for the 1st Best Undergraduate Research Course (ME 495), Mechanical Engineering Dept., KFUPM, May 2016.
- Award for the 2nd Best Mechanical Engineering Senior Design Project, for undergraduate students, Mechanical Engineering Dept., KFUPM, May 2016.
- Award for the 10 Best Poster Presentations for the undergraduate students final year project titled “Design and development of carbon-based membranes for 6 water purification”, received at the 5th Saudi Students Conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 28 April – 1 May 2014.
- Award of Excellence in Research for the academic Year 2012-13, awarded by KFUPM
- Award of Excellence in Academic (Students) Advising for the academic year 2011-12, awarded by KFUPM.
- Award for the Best Poster Presentation received from the European Membrane Society (EMS), Poster presented by my MS student Turki N. Baroud at European Membrane Society – Middle East School of Membrane Technology for Sustainable Water Desalination and Reuse, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), 28 April to 3 May 2012.
- Certificate from ME Dept., KFUPM, in appreciation for my advising of a UG student team (ME 415: Senior Design Project) who achieved the “Best Senior Design Project” in semester 101 (Sep-Dec 2011)
- Grand Prize in the Best Poster Competition at the 2010 ASME society-wide Micro/Nano Technology Forum, ASME 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2010, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 12-18 November 2010
- Medici Fellowship, Sept. 2005 - August 2006, http://www.medici.bham.ac.uk/
- Award of Excellence in Teaching & Learning for developing a Virtual Learning Tool for a first-year Materials Engineering module, awarded by the University of Wolverhampton, England, UK, 2004-05.
- Prestigious Emerald Literati Awards' Outstanding Paper 2004, for the paper published in Rapid Prototyping Journal, vol.9, No.5, pp.314-326 (2003), http://www.emeraldinsight.com/literaticlub/winners
- Award for the Best Part made by Rapid Prototyping Technology: award delivered at the 8th European Conference on Rapid Prototyping held in Paris, May 2000
- Travel Grant award ($1400) for travel from Fund for Scientific Research Belgium, April 2000.