Education- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, USA, 1994
- M.Sc. University of Alexandria, Egypt, 1988
- B.Sc. University of Alexandria, Egypt, 1984
Employment HistoryTeaching Experience:
- 2016- present Director of the Institute of Leadership in Higher Education, University of Sharjah.
- 2012-2016 Professor and Chairman of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Sharjah, UAE.
- 2007–now Adjunct Professor, Concordia Institute for Information Systems Engineering, CIISE, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
- 2002 – 2005 Associate Professor, College of Information Systems, Zayed University
- 1999-2002 Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Management Science and Information Science, Business School, Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA. Teaching both Master of Business Administration (MBA) and undergraduate classes
- 1998-1999 Adjunct Professor: Department of Computer Engineering, Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, New York
- 1996 - 1997 Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental Studies, University of Alexandria – Egypt
- 1991 - 1994 Instructor: Department Computer and Information Systems, Strayer University, Arlington, Virginia USA
- 1989 – 1991 Teaching Assistant, Dept. Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, USA
- 1985 – 1989 Lecturer, Institute of Graduate Studies and Research, University of Alexandria, Egypt
Professional Activities- Member of editorial boards and program committees of many international journals and conferences
- Member of advisory committee Of the Faculty of Engineering & IT, British University in Dubai
- Founding member of the ACM SIGSpatial (Association for Computing Machinery – Special Interest Group for spatial and geographic information), http://www.sigspatial.org/ACMSIG-Spatial-Proposal.pdf
- Advisory Board for the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Miami 2000-2002
- NSF (National Science Foundation) committee member for Database and Expert Systems Program, 2000
- Advisory Board of Center for Advanced Information Processing (CAIP), Rutgers University 1999 – 2002
- Program chair for the 10th ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications AICSSA, Fes, Morocco, May 2013
- Organizing committee, Workshop on Modeling and Analysis of Environmental Exposures on Public Health, Abu Dhabi, UAE Jan 2014
- Program co-chair, 3rd IEEE SaCoNet III, Ottawa, Canada, 2012.
- Member of the organizing committee for the Information and Communication technology research forum that will be held in Abu Dhabi in May 2012.
Selected Research Projects- 2017-2019 Securing Spatial Data in the Cloud, PI, 200,000 Dhs University of Sharjah)
- 2016 SHEMCS: Smart Home Energy Management and Conservation System, (PI, 89,000 Dhs Emirates Foundation - extension)
- 2015 Progressively Trainable and Adaptable Intelligent Humanoid Robots for Autism Spectrum Disorders (100,000 Dhs, University of Sharjah)
- 2015 A data mining approach for detecting and tracking harmful environmental phenomena using WSN (150,000 Dhs, University of Sharjah) Collaborators from the College of Science
- 2014 Environmental hazards monitor mobile system for patients with chronically diseases (2,000,000 Dhs, Telecom Regularity Authority, ICT Fund, UAE) Multidisciplinary project with the Medical College: The intellectual merit of this project is to develop a health monitoring system for modeling individual exposure to environmental triggers of Asthma attacks and analyzing the effectiveness of the model. The proposed health monitoring system gathers time/location data from patients through location aware devices such as GPS that are embedded in their cell phones. The system also collects various environmental measurements such as humidity level and smoke concentration through wireless sensors. The data collected by these location and sensor devices will be transmitted continuously through sensor and mobile networks to a database server. Then, the developed analyses model at the server side will analyze the collected data using a spatio-temporal integration model to derive conclusions that will help in providing a better insight into the causes of Asthma.
Selected PublicationsInternational Journal:
- Tamer Rabie, M. Baziyad and Ibrahim Kamel, "Maximizing Embedding Capacity and Stego Quality: Curve-Fitting in the Transform Domain", International Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), Springer, (Impact Factor: 1.33), accepted, 2017
- Ibrahim Kamel, Ayesha Talha, Zaher Al Aghbari, “Dynamic Spatial Index for Efficient Query Processing on the Cloud”, Journal of Cloud Computing: Advances, Systems and Applications, Springer, accepted, 2017.
- Ibrahim Kamel, M. Bahutair, Privacy Protection in Outsourced Spatial Databases, International Journal of Semantic Computing, Vol 10, No. 3, 2016.
- Tamer Rabie and Ibrahim Kamel, Toward optimal embedding capacity for transform domain steganography: a quad-tree adaptive-region approach International Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), Springer, (Impact Factor: 1.06), accepted, 2016.
- Ibrahim Kamel, Zaher Al Aghbari, Kareem Kamel, "SmartRecruiter: A Similarity-based Team Formation Algorithm" International Journal of Big Data Intelligence (IJBDI), accepted, 2016.
- Tamer Rabie and Ibrahim Kamel, “High-Capacity Steganography: A Global-Adaptive-Region Discrete Cosine Transform Approach”, International Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), Springer, (Impact Factor: 1.06), accepted, 2016.
- Ibrahim Kamel, Maha Alaa Dine, Waheeb Yaacob, Kareem Kamel, "Distortion-Free Fragile Watermark for Relational Databases", International Journal of Big Data Intelligence (IJBDI), 2016, in press.
- S. Banawan and Ibrahim Kamel, “Hiding Information in Reversible English Transforms for a Blind Receiver," International Journal of Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, Hindawi, 2015, DOI:10.1155/2015/387985.
- Tamer Rabie and Ibrahim Kamel, “On the Embedding Limits of the Discrete Cosine Transform”, International Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), Springer, MTAP-D-14-00782R, (Impact Factor: 1.06), 2015, DOI: 10.1007/s11042-015-2557-x.
- Amany Abou Safia; Zaher Al Aghbari; Ibrahim Kamel “Phenomena Detection in Mobile Wireless Sensor Networks”, International Journal of Network and Systems Management, Springer, 2014, DOI: 10.1007/s10922-015-9342-z, (Impact Factor: 0.487).
- Zaher Al Aghbari, Ibrahim Kamel, Walid Elbarouni, “Energy-Efficient Distributed Wireless Sensor Network Scheme for Cluster Detection”, Taylor & Francis International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1-28, 2013.
- Zaher Al Aghbari, Ibrahim Kamel and Thuraya Awad. “On Clustering Large Number of Data Streams” International Journal on Intelligent Data Analysis, IOS Press, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2012, pp. 69-91, (Impact Factor: 0.5).
Refereed International Conferences and Workshops:
- Ayesha Talha, Ibrahim Kamel, Z. Al Aghbari, “'Secure kNN Queries over Outsourced Spatial Data for Location-based Services”, 12th International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology (IIT), Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- M. Bahutair, Al Aghbari, Ibrahim Kamel, “'On Detecting Communities in Social Networks with Interests”, 12th International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology (IIT), Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- M. Bahutair, Ibrahim Kamel, “A New Scheme for protecting the Privacy and Integrity of Spatial Data on the Cloud” IEEE international Conference on Multimedia Big Data, accepted, Taipei, Taiwan, April 2016.
- Ayesha Talha, Ibrahim Kamel, Z. Al Aghbari, "Enhancing Confidentiality and Privacy of Outsourced Spatial Data", IEEE International Conference on Cyber Security and Cloud Computing (CSCloud 2015), New York, Nov 2015
- K. Kamel, Z. Al Aghbari, Ibrahim Kamel, “Realistic Team Formation using Navigation and Homophily”, International Conference on Big Data and Smart Computing (BigComp 2014), Bangkok, Thailand, January 15-17, 2014.
- Ibrahim Kamel, W. Yacoub, K. Kamel, “An Empirical Study on the Robustness of a Fragile Watermark for Relational Databases, the 9th IEEE International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, Al Ain, UAE, 2013.
- A. Abo Yousif, Z. Al Aghbari, Ibrahim Kamel, “A Study on Group Head Election for Detecting Phenomena in Mobile WSN, the 9th IEEE International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, Al Ain, UAE, 2013.
- A. Banihammad, H. Abdullah, Ibrahim Kamel, “Identifying Crimes Using Audio Cues”, (student poster), Undergraduate Research Conference, Dubai, UAE, 2012
- Maha AlaaEdine, Ibrahim Kamel, “On Watermarking Databases”, 8th IEEE International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, (student poster), Al Ain, UAE, 2012.
- Ibrahim Kamel, S. Banwan, “'Hiding Information in the Placement of Maneuverable Words”, 8th IEEE International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, Al Ain, UAE, 2012.
- Ibrahim Kamel, H. Guma, “Secure Delivery of Data in WSN”, the International Conference on Sensors Networks, Rome, Italy, 2012.
Theses and Projects Supervision- Tarik Al Hawi, Ph.D. in Engineering anagement, “Organization data management integrity protection”, University of Sharjah
- Ahmed Hassan, Ph. D. in Engineering Management, “Security Risks in Smart Cities”, University of Sharjah.
- Nadia Ahmed, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Sharjah
- Sara Darwish, “Identifying influential people in Social Network”, (Graduated 2013)
- Salma Banwan, “Hiding text inside plain English structures”, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Sharjah, UAE. (Graduated 2012)
- Maha Alaa Eldine, “Protecting the Integrity of Relational Databases”, (Graduated 2014)
- Osama AlKoky, “Searching Social Networks”, (expected 2015)
- Hakim Katouni, “Software security hardening and watermarking”, Concordia Institute of Information Systems Engineering, Concordia University, Canada. (Graduated 2010)
- Fatima Anaqeep, “Efficient information retrieval in social network”, British University in Dubai, UAE. (Graduated 2010)
- Wafa BEN MOHAMED, “Noise-tolerant security scheme for wireless sensor network” Polytechnic school of Tunisia
- Sayed Hejazi, (M.Sc.); Graduated April 2009; “Forensic analysis of windows physical memory", Concordia Institute of Information Systems Engineering, Concordia University, Canada (graduated April 2009).
- Hussam Gumma; M.Sc. “Development of security scheme for sensor network”; Department of Computer Science, University of Sharjah, UAE. (Graduated 2009)
- Ahmed Ghulam Mustafa; Graduated Dec 2008; M.Sc.; “Supporting range queries in Peer-to-Peer network”; Department of computer science, University of Sharjah, UAE. (Graduated 2008)
- Thuraya Awad; M.Sc. Graduated May 2008; “Detecting similar and correlated behaviors in multiple data streams”; Department of computer science, University of Sharjah, UAE. (Graduated 2008)
Patents- Ibrahim Mostafa Kamel, D. Barbara, Method and apparatus for similarity matching of handwritten data objects, Patent allowed, PAT. NO. 5,710,916
- Ibrahim Mostafa Kamel, W. Aref, A Video Server Disk Scheduling Algorithm for Simultaneous Read/Write Requests, Patent allowed, PAT. NO.6,263,411
- Ibrahim Kamel, Cell Loss Reduction in a Video Server with ATM Backbone Network, allowed, PAT. NO. 5,875,300
- Ibrahim Mostafa Kamel, N. Niranjan, and S. Ghandeharizadeh, Real-Time Scheduling of Prioritized Disk Requests, allowed, Feb 2000
- Ibrahim Mostafa Kamel, W. Aref, S. Mukherjee, Seamless Scalable Design for Distributed Media Server, allowed, US Patent Issued on May 9, 2000, US Patent Serial No. 6,061,720
- Ibrahim Mostafa Kamel and Li Zou, Dynamic Multicast Grouping for Vehicles and Other Mobile Objects, allowed, issued on June 20, 2006, US Patent No. 7065576
- Ibrahim Mostafa Kamel, K. Elbassioni, B. Chen, Efficient Service Management in Home Gateway, allowed, US Patent Issued on March 7, 2006, United States Patent 7010661
- Ibrahim Kamel, Scheme for Implementing FTP Protocol in a Residential Networking Architecture, Filing Date: 8/24/2001, allowed, Publication date: 05/01/2003 http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20030084123.html
- Ibrahim Kamel and Mahfuz Rahman, Multimedia based caller ID for instant messaging and presence services, allowed, Publication Date: 02/23/2006, United States Patent 20060039545, http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20060039545.html
- P. Mohapatra, Ibrahim Mostafa Kamel, S. Mukherjee Scalable Multimedia File Systems for Network Attached Storage Devices Real-time Local File system for News Editing Systems, Filing Date: 9/18/01
- Awad Elkhalaf, Hussien El-mahdi, Ibrahim Kamel, “A portable ultrasonic instrument used to distinguish pig meat from other meats”, allowed Publication Date: 06/16/2011, United States Patent 2011/0138917
Awards Recognitions- Received the Distinguished Faculty Award in the area of community service, University of Sharjah, April 2011
- Received Distinguished Faculty Research Award, University of Sharjah, April 2010
- Received Best achievements award in the patent corner, University of Sharjah, June 2008
- Received Best Research Project Award. University of Sharjah May 7, 2008
- Won two Silver Medals form 36th Exhibition of Inventions International in Geneva, April 2008.
- Received the Exemplary Faculty Award in research and teaching, Zayed University 2003-2004
Services- Member of the Deans Council 2016-now
- Member of the ECE Ph.D. committee 2016-2017
- Member of the University Information Technology and Communication Steering Committee 2016-now
- Member of the University Graduate Studies Board 2016-now
- Chairman of the Electrical and Computer Engineering department 2012-2016
- Chair of the ECE Ph.D. committee to prepare new Ph.D. program in the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering 2015-2016
- Member of the University Computer Center Advisory Committee 2016-now
- Member of the University Research Board 2014 – now
- Chair of the university-level committee to put guidelines for providing undergraduate major/minor programs 2015
- Member of the Intellectual Properties and Patent University committee 2015-2016
- Member of the UoS Research Reorganization Committee 2014-2015
- Member of the Engineering Management Ph.D. Committee, College of Engineering. 2013 - 2016
- Member of the University Information Technology advising committee, 2013 - 2015
- Chair of University-level for Curriculum Revision and removing duplicate / similar basic courses (e.g., science and math) across the university (formed by vice chancellor) 2011-2012.