Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest, oldest, and most versatile of the engineering professions. It is at the heart of the design, development, and manufacturing of every product we have today. Is it the right choice for you?
Have you ever wondered ….
1. How refrigeration and air conditioning systems, airplanes, high speed trains, automobiles, and other amazing machines are designed, built, and operated safely?
2. How renewable energy can be used for water desalination and generation of electricity?
3. How we can tap natural resources in a responsible, sustainable manner?
4. How you can tap your innate creativity and innovation skills to transform simple ideas into big solutions?
5. How to curb the emissions and dumping of toxic substances into the air, oceans, rivers, and soil?
6. About your role in uplifting the human spirit in a changing world?
Wonder no more! Earning a Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Sharjah will give you the opportunity to contemplate the meanings of and to find answers to these ever so life important questions.
What is Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical Engineering is concerned with the principles of force, motion, energy, materials, and manufacturing. The blending of these principles with the human imagination transforms natural resources into useful and amazing systems, machines, products, and artifacts that are necessary to the creation of commodities and services essential to human life such as electricity, clean water, food, clothing, transportation, housing, and education to enhance human safety, security, health, comfort and productivity.
Mechanical Engineering at UoS
The Mechanical Engineering Program at the University of Sharjah puts what is in the best interest of students, first and foremost. Every little experience the student attains represents a block in the building of a competent, confident, purposeful, problem solving, competitive, responsible, and conscientious individual. This is accomplished by means of a curriculum and facilities that conform to the highest of standards, faculty members committed to the academic and personal growth of the student, and an environment that inspires learning and drives creativity.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs):
Students graduating with a BSc in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Sharjah will be able to:
1. Have a productive career in mechanical engineering or related fields, either in industrial, governmental, research, or academic institutions.
2. Continue to develop their knowledge through lifelong learning opportunities and/or advanced degrees.
3. Contribute to the society in a responsible manner through engagement in professional societies and/or community services.
Program Students Outcomes (SO):
Upon successful completion of the B.Sc. degree in ME, students will have:
a. The ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
b. The ability to design and conduct experiments, to analyze and interpret data.
c. The ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs.
d. The ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
e. The ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
f. The understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
g. The ability to communicate effectively.
h. The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context.
i. A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
j. A knowledge of contemporary issues.
k. The ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.