• PGCE, 2008, School of Education, University of Sheffield, UK
• PhD, 2004, School of Architecture, University of Sheffield, UK
• MArch, 1998, School of Architecture, University of Sheffield, UK
• DipArch, 1997, Department of Architecture, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey
• Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), Incorporate Member, 2014
• European Federation of National Engineering Associations (FEANI), European Engineer, 2013
• Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), Chartered Member, 2013
• Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA), 2010
• Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), Chartered Architect, 2010
• American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc. (ASHRAE), Engineer, 2008
• Engineering Council UK, Graduate & Chartered, 2008 & 2013
• Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE), Chartered Engineer, 2013
• American Institute of Architects (AIA), International Associate, 2008
• National Home Energy Rating (NHER), Registered Surveyor, 2007
• Architecture Registration Board (ARB), Registered Architect, 2006
• Scientific and Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK), Registered Architect, 2005
• Union of the Chambers of Cyprus Turkish Engineers and Architects (KTMMOB), Registered Architect, 1997
• “Green Wall Systems (GWS)”, KTA Collaborative R&D project funded by EPSRC, £34,969, Feb 2012 – Nov 2013, H. Altan (PI).
• “Developing an Economic Framework for a Building Insulation Product for Reducing Carbon Footprint and Cost for Installation”, Research Studentship Award funded by EPSRC (UK), £80,370, Oct 2012 – Oct 2015, H. Altan (PI) et al.
• “Effect of the Climate and Location on the Energy Consumption in the Retail Environment”, Research Studentship Award funded by EPSRC & Marks & Spenser (UK), £80,370, Oct 2012 – Oct 2014, S.B.M. Beck (PI) and H. Altan.
• “Crestron IBT”, KTA Collaborative R&D project funded by EPSRC, £22,835, Apr 2012 – Jun 2012, H. Altan (PI).
• “Wireless Friendly Energy Efficient Buildings (WiFEEB)”, Research project funded by EU/FP7, Marie Curie Industry-Academia Partnerships and Pathways (IAPP), £395,000, Jan 2012 – Jan 2016, R. Langley (PI), H. Altan (CI), et al, [Part of a large consortium led by Sheffield University (UK), total €2.1million].
• “The Investigation of Connected Energy Efficient Domestic Buildings”, Research Studentship Award funded by EPSRC & British Gas (UK), £80,370, Oct 2011 – Oct 2014, J. Zhang (PI) and H. Altan (PI).
• “Energy Masterplan (EM)”, KTA Collaborative R&D project funded by EPSRC, £34,098, Jun 2011 – Nov 2011, H. Altan (PI).
• “The BIG Energy Upgrade: Energy Innovation for Deprived Communities (EIDC)”, Research project funded by EU/ERDF, £375,798, Apr 2011 – Mar 2014, S. Banwart (PI), S.C.L. Koh (PI), H. Altan (CI), et al, [Part of a large consortium led by Kirklees Council, total £14.9million].
• “TPSI - Tall-Building Projects Sustainability Indicator”, KTA Proof of Concept project funded by EPSRC, £53,699, Apr 2011 – Mar 2012, H. Altan (PI) – Technical Report.
• “Energy Analysis and LEED Simulation for INTERPOL, Singapore”, Consultancy project funded by CPG Consultants Pte Ltd, £24,000, Oct 2011 – Jun 2013, H. Altan (PI).
• “LEED Simulation for Asian Development Bank (ADB), Manila, Philippines”, Consultancy project funded by CPG Consultants Pte Ltd, £16,000, Aug 2011 – Jun 2013, H. Altan (PI).
• “Design Development of a Sustainable Student Housing based on the Passive House (Passivhaus) Building Standard at Leeds Metropolitan University”, Research Project by UPP Ltd, £13,028, Mar 2008 – Jul 2009, H. Altan (PI)
H. Altan, A. La Tegola and E. de Nichilo (Ed), International Conference Proceedings of the Zero Energy Mass Custom Home (ZEMCH) 2015, Ordine degli Architetti Pianificatori Paesaggistici e Conservatori (OAPPC) della Provincia di Bari, ZEMCH Network, Lecce, Italy, December 2015, ISBN:978-88941-52609.
H. Altan, R. Padovani, A. Hashemi. “Building Performance and Simulation”, In M. Noguchi (Ed.), Springer Tracts in Civil Engineering, ZEMCH: Toward the Delivery of Zero Energy Mass Custom Homes, pp. 311-338, ISSN 2366-259X, E-ISSN 2366-2603, ISBN: 978-3-319-31965-0, E-ISBN: 978-3-319-31967-4, (Book Chapter 11), Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-31967-4_11.
H. Altan, M. Hajibandeh, K.A. Tabet Aoul, A. Deep. “Passive Design”, In M. Noguchi (Ed.), Springer Tracts in Civil Engineering, ZEMCH: Toward the Delivery of Zero Energy Mass Custom Homes, pp. 209-236, ISSN 2366-259X, E-ISSN 2366-2603, ISBN: 978-3-319-31965-0, E-ISBN: 978-3-319-31967-4, (Book Chapter 8), Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-31967-4_8.
H. Altan, L. Han, K. Wagner, J.L.G. Ortega, A. Deep. “Energy Use in Housing”, In M. Noguchi (Ed.), Springer Tracts in Civil Engineering, ZEMCH: Toward the Delivery of Zero Energy Mass Custom Homes, pp. 175-207, ISSN 2366-259X, E-ISSN 2366-2603, ISBN: 978-3-319-31965-0, E-ISBN: 978-3-319-31967-4, (Book Chapter 7), Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-31967-4_7.
H. Altan, N. Gasperini, S. Moshaver and A. Frattari. “Redesigning Terraced Social Housing in the UK for Flexibility Using Building Energy Simulation with Consideration of Passive Design”, In M. Noguchi (Ed.), ZEMCH Research Initiatives: Mass Customisation and Sustainability, 1st Edition, MDPI AG Basel, Switzerland, 2015, pp. 161-181, ISBN: 978-3-03842-111-5, E-ISBN: 978-3-03842-112-2, http://books.mdpi.com/pdfview/book/158.
B. Ozarisoy and H. Altan, “Energy Performance Development of Non-regulated Retrofit Mass Housing Estates in Northern Cyprus”, Design for Next: Proceedings of the 12th European Academy of Design Conference, Sapienza University of Rome, 12-14 April 2017, The Design Journal (RFDJ), An International Journal for All Aspects of Design, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, The Design Journal, September 2017, Vol. 20, Issue Sup1, pp. S1765-S1781, DOI: 10.1080/14606925.2017.1352697.
B. Ozarisoy, H. Altan, “Adoption of Energy Design Strategies for Retrofitting Mass Housing Estates in Northern Cyprus”, Sustainability Journal by Open Access, Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation - ZEMCH 2016, Special Issue, Vol. 9, Issue 8, August 2017, pp. 1477-1480, ISSN: 2071-1050, DOI: 10.3390/su9081477.
M. Karima, H. Altan, “Interactive Building Environments: A Case Study University Building in UAE”, International High- Performance Built Environment Conference – A Sustainable Built Environment Conference 2016 Series (SBE16), iHBE 2016, Special Issue, Procedia Engineering, 180 (2017), pp. 1355-1362, Elsevier, ISSN: 1877-7058, DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.298.
S.L. Shareef, H. Altan, “Building Sustainability Rating Systems in the Middle East”, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) - Engineering Sustainability, November 2016, ICE Publishing, pp. 1-11, ISSN: 1478-4629, E-ISSN: 1751-7680, DOI: 10.1680/jensu.16.00035.
Sherif, H.M. Shalaby and H. Altan, “Towards the 2nd Sustainable City in the Middle East: Retransforming Ras El Khaimah Costal City with the Estidama 1st Model of Abu Dhabi Master Plan 2030”, International Journal of Environment and Sustainability by Science Target, 2016, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 30-44, ISSN: 1927-9566.
S. Zahiri and H. Altan, “The Effect of Passive Design Strategies on Thermal Performance of Female Secondary School Buildings during Warm Season in Hot Dry Climate”, Frontiers in Built Environment Journal, Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Speciality Section, March 2016, Vol. 2, Article 3, pp. 1-15, DOI: 10.3389/fbuil.2016.00003.
H. Altan, J. Mohelnikova, P. Hofman. “Thermal and Daylight Evaluation of Building Zones”, 6th International Building Physics Conference, IBPC 2015, Energy Procedia Journal by Elsevier, Special Issue, Vol. 78, November 2015, pp. 2784-2789, ISSN: 1876-6102, DOI: 10.1016/j.egypro.2015.11.626.
H. Altan, N. Gasperini, S. Moshaver and A. Frattari. “Redesigning Terraced Social Housing in the UK for Flexibility Using Building Energy Simulation with Consideration of Passive Design”, ZEMCH Research Initiatives: Mass Customisation and Sustainability, Sustainability Journal by Open Access, Special Issue, Vol. 7, May 2015, pp. 5488-5507, ISSN: 2071-1050, DOI: 10.3390/su7055488.
H. Altan, J. Mohelnikova. “Windows Influence on Room Daylighting in Residential Buildings”, Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture by David Publishing Company, Vol. 9, Issue 3, March 2015 (Serial Number 88), pp. 291-299, ISSN: 1934-7359, eISSN: 934-7367, DOI: 10.17265/1934-7359/2015.03.007.
L. Han, H. Altan and M. Noguchi. “A Feasibility Study on Occupants’ Behaviour and Energy Usage Patterns, and Its Potential Integration with Building Information Modelling”, International Journal of 3-D Information Modelling (IJ3DIM), Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Housing Special Issue, January-March 2015, Vol. 4, Issue 1, pp. 45-53, ISSN: 2156-1710, eISSN: 2156-1702.
H. Altan, J.S. Douglas and Y.K. Kim. “Energy Performance Analysis of University Buildings: Case Studies at Sheffield University, UK”, Journal of Architectural Engineering Technology by OMICS Publishing Group, Vol. 3, Issue 3, June 2014, pp. 1-13, 000129, ISSN: 2168-9717, DOI: 10.4172/2168-9717.1000129.
X. Wang, H. Altan and J. Kang. “Parametric Study on the Performance for Green Residential Buildings in China”, Frontiers of Architectural Research Journal by Elsevier, Vol. 4, Issue 1, March 2015, pp. 56-67, ISSN: 2095-2635, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foar.2014.06.007.
M.R. Braun, H. Altan and S.B.M. Beck. “Using Regression Analysis to Predict the Future Energy Consumption of a Supermarket in the UK”, Applied Energy Journal by Elsevier, Vol. 130, June 2014, pp. 305–313, DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.05.062.
A.M.S. Kashkooli, G.A. Vargas and H. Altan. “A Semi-Quantitative Framework of Building Lifecycle Analysis: Demonstrated through a Case Study of a Typical Office Building Block in Mexico in Warm and Humid Climate”, Sustainable Cities and Society Journal by Elsevier, Vol. 12, July 2014, pp. 16–24, ISSN: 2210-6707, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2013.11.002.
P. Patlakas, H.B. Santacruz and H. Altan. “Visualization of Post Occupancy Evaluation Environmental Data”, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), Vol. 167, Issue 5, May 2014, ICE Publishing, pp. 56-64, ISSN: 0965-089X, E-ISSN: 1751-7672, DOI: 10.1680/cien.13.00014.
H. Altan, M. Refaee, L. Han and M. Noguchi. “Measured Home Environment and Energy Consumption Compared to Accepted Standards”, Open House International Journal by Open House International Association, ZEMCH Special Issue, Vol 38, No. 3, September 2013, pp. 64-71, ISSN 0168-2601.
M. Refaee and H. Altan. “Trends of Indoor Environment and Energy Consumption Incidence by Human Activities”, Journal of Engineering Technology by Global Science and Technology Forum (GSTF), Vol. 2, No. 2 (19), August 2013, pp. 110-115, ISSN: 2251-3701.
• ‘One of the 3-Best Finalist Award’, Integrated Habitats Design Competition (IHDC), Neepsend, Sheffield, Victoria Business Improvement District, 2011.
• ‘Best Paper Award’, 9th China Urban Housing Conference (CHI 2011) on Low Carbon Green City and Harmonious Habitat Society, 2011.
• ‘Honorable Prize Award’, Incheon International Urban Design Competition with Off-Grid City Urban Design, INCHEON Urban Development Corporation (IUDC), 2009.
• ‘First Class Prize’, Royal Academy of Engineering’s National Student Poster Competition, ‘Holbeck Sustainable Development Project’, Royal Academy of Engineering (RAE/UK), 2008.
• ‘Highly Commended Award’ in the Ecohouse Student Design Competition, Ecohouse Design, Concrete Centre in conjunction with the Architectural Press and Teachers in Architecture, 2008.
• ‘Silver Award’, International CUBE 180 Design Competition, AD(d)a HOMES - Adding Adaptable Homes, Government of Shenzhen, China, 2008.
• ‘Third Prize Award’, CISCO Student URBAN 2020 Competition, URBAN 2020 - Connected Community of Future Design, CISCO in co-ordination of RIBA and MAKE Architects, 2008.
• ‘Best Paper Award’, 3rd CIB International Conference on Smart and Sustainable Built Environments (SASBE 2009), 2009.
• ‘Third Prize’, Floor Design Competition, University-Industry Collaboration, Forbo Krommenie, 1996.
• Zero-Energy Mass Custom Homes (ZEMCH) International Network, 2010
• International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA), The English Regional Affiliate - IBPSA-England, 2006
• Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) - National Priorities Research Program (NPRP), 2013
• Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) - UAE Region / Building Simulation Group, UK, 2014 / 2009
• American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc. (ASHRAE) - Falcon Chapter, 2015
• International Forum on Environment, Civil and Architecture Engineering (FECAE), 2016
• Emirates Green Building Council (EGBC), 2014
• World Society of Sustainable Energy Technologies (WSSET), 2012
Presently, I have been teaching for almost 20 years at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels; I have built upon an extensive experience of integrated design with sustainable design in studio design culture and have been able to embed ‘Sustainability’ at the early stages of architectural design in most of my Architecture related subjects’ teaching in Schools of Architecture in the UK (Sheffield University, Sheffield Hallam University, and Lincoln University). I am an Architect-Engineer and have been involved in several live projects in related areas to architecture, architectural science, building engineering, energy efficiency, sustainable design, post occupancy monitoring and evaluation of building energy and environmental performance, environmental design and building simulation. The opportunity to contribute to teaching and learning in higher education in the areas of Architectural Design Practice, Architectural Science and Engineering (Energy, Construction and Environment), Sustainable Architecture and Development, which is sustainable socially, environmentally, ecologically and economically in order to design and develop Sustainable Built Environments through ‘Integrated Design’ approach, thinking and philosophy is particularly attractive to me.