The college of dentistry aims to be a regional center for education, research and dental services focusing on the needs of UAE and gulf countries.
The college aims to prepare students able to work in public and private sectors and to contribute of the advanced dental care in UAE and gulf region.
The following objectives form the foundation of the curriculum:
• Develop a more flexible curriculum structure that can respond rapidly to, and reflect on, developments in the sciences and practice of dentistry
• Reduce formal contact hours for teaching and provide greater opportunities for self-directed, experiential learning throughout the course
• Facilitate greater opportunities for contextual learning. In the traditional model most of the basic and applied science material was presented in the early years. This material was often not reinforced later in the course where its relevance would have been appreciated more by students. A greater integration, balance and flow of material throughout the course is an important objective.
• Introduce problem‐based and team-based leaning throughout the course so that students (and later graduates) are able to better integrate learning material and apply their knowledge
• Make greater use of developments in computer‐aided instruction, audio‐visual material and laboratory‐based technique exercises
• Develop a course that students will find stimulating and enjoyable and one that engenders a desire to continue learning after graduation, i.e. to become life‐long learners.