The PhD History and Islamic Civilization is a pioneering programme and the only one of its kind in the UAE. It is unique in the field as, unlike traditional programmes, it does not focus on unidimensional studies that follow a single historical phenomenon or subject in a particular historical period. It places more emphasis on the critical, analytical and comparative studies of two or more phenomena in the field. This prompts more comprehensive studies. The programme also adopts a state-of-the-art approach employing knowledge gained from different academic fields to the study of history and civilization.
The programme aims to:
- Provide candidates with an enriching learning and teaching experience based on the critical appraisal of the similar and different aspects of various historical phenomena which would lead to a deeper understanding of the reality of the nation and humanity as a whole.
- Broaden the scope of intellectual research through its contribution to the study fields of history and civilization.
- Provide candidates with the tools of critical and statistical thinking.
- Develop candidates' leadership skills to better contribute to their future professional careers.
- Supply concerned local institutes, centres and government departments with highly qualified academics.
Type and number of required courses according to programme study plane:
|Type of Required Course