The University of Sharjah is a non-profit Arab University and Scientific Institution owned by the government of Sharjah with administrative and financial independence.
The Department of Arabic Language and Literature was established with the establishment of the University of Sharjah in the academic year (1997 - 1998), and since then, the department has graduated batches of students with the bachelor degree.
It also established a postgraduate program (Master Degree) in 2001 where a number of the department graduates and other universities bachelor degree holders joined the program and some of them have already graduated.
The program has witnessed a significant development in the number of applicants. The postgraduate program (Master Degree) has responded to the development and modernization requirements in the UAE, and fulfilled the goal of the University of Sharjah to meet the growing needs of the local and regional communities through graduating scholars and specialists in scientific researches in the field of Arabic language and its literature.
The Arabic Department opened the PhD program after being accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research to meet the requirements of the UAE and keep up with the apparent scientific development.
This file contains the program vision, mission, objectives, learning outcomes, structure, plans, and admission and graduation requirements.
The program is based on the Standards for Licensure and Accreditation 2011 edition, issued by the Commission for Academic Accreditation in the Ministry of Higher Education.
- Preparing PhD holders to be qualified researchers in the field of Arabic language, and literature, linguistic-related sciences, and criticism.
- Providing the governmental institutions, in general, and the Ministry of Higher Education, in particular, with PhD graduates in Arabic Language and its literature who can help in teaching and other fields.
- Providing research centers with PhD holders.
- Enabling Master Degree graduates to obtain their PhD degrees.
- Establishing a generation of scholars and specialists in scientific researches in the field of Arabic language and Literature.
- Creating a scientific research environment that contributes to fulfill the university's mission in developing scientific research in linguistic and literary studies.