The Department of International Relations has received accreditation from the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in the United Arab Emirates in 2011 and was launched at the beginning of the 2011-2012 academic year.
The department seeks to endow graduates with the basic skills and in-depth knowledge in the field of international relations, and enable them to analyze and predict international phenomena, and develop scientific research in this field of knowledge, be eligible to work in the diplomatic field, international organizations and research organizations, and the political and international studies and strategy centers.
Bearing in mind the overall objectives of the University of Sharjah, the Department of International Relations has mapped out a set of humanistic and pedagogically sound academic objectives which provide students with a solid foundation in the theory of International Relations. The International Relations program is a multidisciplinary program that offers its students a comprehensive understanding of International Relations, thereby refining students' knowledge and widening their intellectual horizons.
The objectives of the Department of International Relations are:
1. Preparing students for a good understanding of the evolution of international relations, and the conscious assimilation of theories and intellectual approaches and perspectives in this field of knowledge.
2. Supplementing the diplomatic and consular staff group with qualified human resources who are capable of interpreting what poses of alternatives, and the resulting challenges in the international field.
3. Graduating competent people who are able to manage the foreign policy of the country and deal with international crises.
4. Developing students' abilities and analytical thinking to help them to continue their graduate studies in international politics.
5. Preparing a group of graduates to contribute to the understanding of international politics and technology.