Education- Ph.D. Computer Science, Kyushu University, Japan, 2001.
- M.Sc. Computer Science, Kyushu University, Japan, 1998.
- B.Sc. Computer Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, USA, 1987.
Employment History- 2003-Now: University of Sharjah, UAE; Professor and Chairperson.
- 2001-2003: Kyushu University, Japan; Assistant Professor.
Professional Activities- Member of editorial boards and program committees of many international journals and conferences.
- External Advisor for the Department of Computer Science, College of Sciences and Humanities, Salman Bin Abdul Aziz University, KSA (2015).
- Reviewer for project proposals of King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST), 2013-now.
- Reviewer for project proposals of Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA), 2012-now.
- UAE representative in the international Machine Intelligence Labs Network (MIR Labs).
Selected Research Projects- Group Coordinator: Big Data Mining and Multimedia Research Group.
- PI: "A Data Mining Approach for Detecting and Tracking Harmful Environmental Phenomena using WSN", UoS (150,000 AED), June 2015-now.
-Co-PI: "Securing Spatial Data on the Cloud", UoS (200,000 AED), June 2015-now.
-Co-PI: "Distributed Path Tracking and Computation using WSNs with Smart Antennas", UoS (194,000 AED), June 2015-now.
- Co-PI: “Human Activity Recognition and Monitoring Using Data Mining Tools”, University of Sharjah (45,000 AED), Jan. 2012 – Jan. 2014
- Co-PI: “Identifying High Risk Individuals Using Social Network Mining”, University of Sharjah (100,000 AED), May 2011 – May 2013
- PI: “Efficient Indexing of Distributed GIS Data on a P2P Structure”, University of Sharjah (100,000 AED), Mar. 2008 – Nov. 2011
- Member: of the “Graphics, Image Processing, and Multimedia” research group, University of Sharjah (120,000 AED), Mar. 2004 – Mar. 2007.
Selected Publications- Ibrahim Kamel, Ayesha Talha, Zaher Al Aghbari, “Dynamic Spatial Index for Efficient Query Processing at the Cloud Service Provider“, Springer Journal of Cloud Computing, vol. 6, no 1, 2017.
- Rima Chaker, Zaher Al Aghbari, Imran Junejo. “Social Network Model for Crowd Anomaly Detection and Localization”, Elsevier Pattern Recognition, vol. 61, (2017), pp.266-281, Jan. 2017.
- Ibrahim Kamel., Zaher Al Aghbari, Kareem Kamel. “SmartRecruiter: A Similarity-based Team Formation Algorithm”, Inderscience International Journal of Big Data Intelligence, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 228-238, 2016.
- Amany Abou Safia, Zaher Al Aghbari, Ibrahim Kamel. “Phenomena Detection in Mobile Wireless Sensor Networks”, Springer International Journal on Network and Systems Management, accepted.
- Zaher Al Aghbari, Imran N. Junejo. “DisCoSet: Discovery of Contrast Sets to Reduce Dimensionality and Improve Classification”, Taylor & Francis International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, vol. 8, no. 6, pp 1178-1191, 2015
- Imran N. Junejo, Khurram Nazir Junejo, Zaher Al Aghbari."Silhouette-based Human Action Recognition using SAX-Shapes", Springer International Journal on the Visual Computer, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 259-269, 2014.
- Moftah Elzobi, Ayoub Al-Hamadi, Zaher Al Aghbari , Laslo Dings, “IESK-ArDB: a database for handwritten Arabic and an optimized topological segmentation approach”, Springer International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 295-308, 2013.
- Zaher Al Aghbari, Ibrahim Kamel, Walid Elbarouni, “Energy-Efficient Distributed Wireless Sensor Network Scheme for Cluster Detection”, Taylor&Francis International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1-28, 2013.
- Imran N. Junejo, Zaher Al Aghbari. “Using SAX Representation for Human Action Recognition” Elsevier International Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, Vol. 23, no. 6, 2012, pp. 853-861.
- Zaher Al Aghbari, “cTraj: Efficient Indexing and Searching of Sequences Containing Multiple Moving Objects” Springer International Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, Vol. 39, no. 1, 2012, pp. 1-28.
- Amany Abou Safia, Zaher Al Aghbari. “Detection of Variable Length Anomalous Subsequences in Data Streams” Inderscience International Journal of Intelligent Information and Database Systems, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 273-288, May 2012.
- Zaher Al Aghbari, Ibrahim Kamel and Thuraya Awad. “On Clustering Large Number of Data Streams” International Journal on Intelligent Data Analysis, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2012, pp. 69-91.
- Reem Al-Mulla, Zaher Al Aghbari. “Incremental Algorithm for Discovering Frequent Subsequences in Multiple Data Streams”, IGI International Journal of Data Warehousing and Mining, Vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1-20, 2011.
- Zaher Al Aghbari, Ayoub Al-Hamadi. “Efficient KNN Search by Linear Projection of Image Clusters”, Wiley International Journal of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 844-865, 2011.
- Zaher Al Aghbari, Ibrahim Kamel and Ahmed Mustafa. “Dynamic Storage and Access Load Balancing for Answering Range Queries in Peer-to-Peer Networks”, Springer International Journal of Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 391-409, 2011.
- Ibrahim Kamel, Zaher Al Aghbari and Thuraya Awad. “MG-Join: Detecting Phenomena and their Correlation in High Dimensional Data Streams”, Springer International Journal on Distributed and Parallel Databases, pp. 67-92, vol. 28, no. 1, 2010.
- Ibrahim Kamel, Zaher Al Aghbari and Ahmed Mustafa. “Efficient Range Queries in Spatial Databases over Peer-to-Peer Networks”, Inderscience International Journal of Internet Protocol Technology, pp. 79-89, vol. 4, no. 2, 2009.
- Zaher Al Aghbari and Salama Brook. “HAH Manuscripts: A Holistic Paradigm for Classifying and Retrieving Historical Arabic Handwritten Documents”, Elsevier International Journal of Expert Systems With Applications, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 10942-10952, Oct. 2009.
- Zaher Al Aghbari “Effective Image Mining by Representing Color Histograms as Time Series” the International Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, vol. 13, no.2, pp.109-114, 2009.
- Rana Malhas and Zaher Al Aghbari. “Interestingness Filtering Engine: Mining Bayesian Networks for Interesting Patterns”, Elsevier International Journal of Expert Systems With Applications, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 5137-5145, Apr. 2009.
- Luiz Capretz, Faheem Ahmed, Shareef Al-Maati and Zaher Al Aghbari. “COTS-based Software Product Line Development”, Emerald International Journal of Web Information Systems, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 165-180, 2008.
- Zaher Al Aghbari and Ruba Al-Haj. “Hill-Manipulation: An Effective Algorithm for Color Image Segmentation”. Elsevier International Journal on Image and Vision Computing, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 894-903, Aug. 2006.
- Zaher Al Aghbari. “Region-Based Semantic Image Classification”. International Journal of Image and Graphics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 357-375, Jul. 2006.
- Zaher Al Aghbari “array-index: A plug&Search K Nearest Neighbors Method for High-Dimensional Data.” Elsevier Journal of Data & Knowledge Engineering, Vol 52, no.3, pp 333-352, Mar. 2005.
- Zaher Aghbari, Kunihiko Kaneko, Akifumi Makinouchi. "Content-Trajectory Approach for Searching Video Databases". IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol.5, no.4, pp.516-531, Dec. 2003.
- Zaher Aghbari, Kunihiko Kaneko, Akifumi Makinouchi. "A Dimensionality Reduction Method for Efficient Search of High-Dimensional Databases". IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, Vol.E86-D, No.6, pp.1032-1041, Jun.2003.
Theses and Projects Supervision- Masaki Kubo, M.Sc., “Semantic classification of image databases”. (Year: Fall 2001/2002 – Spring 2001/2002).
- Takumi Ohashi, M.Sc., “Semantic image segmentation”. (Year: Fall 2002/2003 – Spring 2002/2003)
- Ruba Al-Haj, M.Sc., “Building a semantic segmentation tree for image content representation”. (Year: Spring 2003/2004 – Spring 2004-2005).
- Rana Malhas, M.Sc., “Discovering Interesting Patterns based on Background Knowledge”. (Year: Fall 2004/2005 – Spring 2006)
- Salama Brook, M.Sc., “An Automatic Retrieval System for Style-Specific Arabic Handwritten Manuscript”. (Year: Spring 2005/2006 – Spring 2007-2008)
- Ahmed Mustafa, M.Sc, "Development of an Efficient Distributed Geographic Information System for e-Services" (Year: Fall 2006-2007 –Fall 2008-2009 )
- Reem Al-Mulla, M.Sc. “Discovery of Association Rules in Multiple Data Stream” (Year: Fall 2008-2009 – Spring 2009-2010)
- Amany Abou Safia, MSc. “Phenomena Detection in Mobile Wireless Sensor Networks” (Year: Fall 2011-2012 – Spring 2012-2013)
- Sarah Darwish, MSc. “Identifying Overlapping Communities and Influential Leaders in Social Networks”, (Year: Fall 2011-2012 – Fall 2013-2014)
- Osama Alkoky, MSc. “Finding People in Social Networks Using Mavens”, (Year: Spring 2011-2012 – now)
- Rima Chaker, MSc. “Anomaly Detection in Crowded Scenes Using Social Networks”, (Year: Spring 2012-2013 – Fall 2014-2015)
- Hiba Jadallah, MSc. “Cloud-based In-Memory Indexing of Dynamic Spatial Data”, (Year: Spring 2015-2016 – now)
- Jomana Naim Nimrat, MSc. “An Efficient Data Routing Protocol for Wireless Body Area Network”, (Year: Spring 2016-2017) – Now
- Ammara Razzaq, MSc. “Face-based fault tolerant mobile object tracking in Wireless Sensor Networks”, (Year: Spring 2016-2017) - Now
Awards Recognitions- Recognition Award for Outstanding Service, 2005, University of Sharjah.
- Annual Incentive Award for Outstanding Faculty in Research for 2007-2008.
- Recognition Award for Distinguished Faculty, College of Sciences, University of Sharjah, for the two academic years: 2007-2008 and 2008-2009.
- Annual Raise for Outstanding Faculty for 2010-2011.
- Annual Incentive Award for Outstanding Faculty in Research for 2012-2013.
Services- Member of the University Academic Advisory Council (University Senate), 2012-2013.
- Chair of the college Strategic Plan Committee: Teaching and Learning, 2007-2008.
- Member of the University Strategic Plan Committee: Teaching and Learning, 2007-2008.
- Member of a joint committee between UoS and Sharjah Government “to study the relationship between the Learning and the market needs", 2008-2009.
- Member of the Strategic Research in Sustainable Infrastructure Domain Committee at the University level, 2009-2010.
- Member of the Advisory Board for the Center of Entrepreneurship, College of Business, University of Sharjah, 2012-2013.
- Member of the Research Development Committee, University level, 2013-2014.
- Member of the IT Advisory Committee, University level, 2013-2014.
- Member of the Institutional Effectiveness and Academic Accreditation Committee at the University level, 2011-now.
- Chaired a committee that developed three new programs at the Department of Computer Science, namely: IT Multimedia, IT Business and IT Network, 2008-2009.
- Chairing the ABET Accreditation Committee for Computer Science and IT Multimedia programs, 2015.