First: Justifications for the Position
- Recognizing the increasing importance of the University branches in providing on-site education and contributing to the local community near these branches, a matter that requires more attention.
- Achieving decentralization and thus alleviating the burden of the University Administration and allowing it to focus on strategic matters.
- The increasing number of University branches and distance between them and the expansion of educational programs and administrative work at the branches after their establishment phase, which requires the presence of a fulltime official to follow matters closely.
- Ensuring greater communication between the University and its various branches so that those working at the branches feel that they are an integral part of the University of Sharjah and contributing to the performance of its mission and achieving its objectives.
- Working to develop the University branches by creating a significant amount of administrative and financial independence so that transactions may be expedited and to reduce the chain of approvals for such transactions.
- Ensuring the proper management and investment of human and material resources to enhance work at the branches in line with that of the main University campus.
- The Assistant Chancellor of Branch Affairs reports directly to the Chancellor of the University and is responsible in terms of his work before the Chancellor. He shall provide his reports to the Chancellor and obtain approval for his decisions and recommendations from the Chancellor.
- The Assistant Chancellor of Branch Affairs is the authority to whom deans and directors of departments in the University should refer regarding all the affairs of the branches falling within his authorities.
- Each of the branches shall have a Vice Assistant Chancellor of Financial and Administrative Affairs and a Vice Assistant Chancellor of Academic Affairs. They shall be appointed and their duties and authorities shall be designated by decision of the Chancellor. Each of the two officials shall report to the Assistant Chancellor on their work and present to him their reports as well as obtain approval for their decisions and recommendations from him or through him from the Chancellor.
The Assistant Chancellor shall have the combined authorities of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Vice Chancellor for Financial and Administrative Affairs with regard to the affairs of these branches. He shall also carry the authority of the Chancellor where mandated.
Fourth: Responsibilities and Mandate
- The Assistant Chancellor of Branch Affairs shall oversee the various University branches in terms of administration and academics.
- The Assistant Chancellor of Branch Affairs shall coordinate with the concerned college all the affairs of those working in the college from among faculty and administrative/technical staff as follows:
- Setting the regulations for the work hours of faculty and administrative/technical staff and following up on their implementation in terms of their job duties.
- Considering the recommendations of the colleges regarding faculty working at the branches as follows:
- Assigning delegates to participate in seminars, symposia and conferences held at the University and outside.
- Assigning overtime teaching if necessary.
- Nominating for discussion university theses and dissertations outside the University.
- Leaves/vacations of faculty members, excluding sabbatical leave, in coordination with the concerned college.
- Trips of an educational nature and delegating the participants for such.
- Forming various committees that do not conflict with the main committees at the University.
- Cooperating with the deans involved in the annual evaluation of faculty members in terms of reports submitted to the Assistant Chancellor from the Vice Assistant Chancellor of Academic Affairs regarding their performance.
- Chairing the Faculty Disciplinary Council at the branches.
- Reviewing the Annual Performance Evaluations for non-faculty staff prepared by the Vice Assistant Chancellor of Financial and Administrative Affairs and submitting the appropriate recommendations in this regard to the Chancellor.
- Proposing the budget of the branches and submitting it to the Chancellor.
- Approving the programs and activities undertaken by the Center for Continuing Education and Community Service at the branches.
- Liaising directly with the ministries, governmental departments, private sectors, and others in matters within his authorities.
- Any other matters delegated to him by the Chancellor.
- The Assistant Chancellor of Branch Affairs shall endeavor to develop and better invest the human and material resources at the branches to realize the purpose of their establishment. He shall also seek to develop their relationship with the local community to contribute to realizing the objectives of the University in the areas of education, research and community service.
- The jurisdiction of the Assistant Chancellor does not include tasks related to academic programs and their quality (study plans, academic accreditation, etc.), which fall under the jurisdiction of the deanships of the colleges offering the educational programs in the branches. His authority in this regard is limited to following up on better providing the educational services of these programs.
- The Assistant Chancellor shall cooperate with the deans and directors of departments concerned with determining the needs of the branches in terms of human resources for faculty and administrative/technical staff as well as their material needs.
Fifth: Mandate of the Vice Assistant Chancellor of Academic Branch Affairs
The Vice Assistant Chancellor of Academic Affairs shall follow up on and oversee all the academic affairs of the concerned branch. This shall include all such matters related to faculty and coordinators in the colleges, student affairs, admission, registration, the library, laboratories, and continuing education and professional development.
Sixth: Mandate of the Vice Assistant Chancellor of Financial and Administrative Branch Affairs
The Vice Assistant Chancellor of Financial and Administrative Affairs shall follow up on and oversee all administrative and financial affairs of the concerned branch. This shall include all such matters related to administrative/technical staff, public relations and media, information technology (IT), finance and purchasing, human resources, maintenance, services and the medical clinics.