Hamid M.K. Al-Naimiy
PhD Astrophysics, University of Manchester, UK
Chancellor, University of Sharjah, UAE
Professor of Space Astrophysics, UOS
University of Sharjah
Founder & President of the Arab Union for Astronomy and Space Sciences (AUASS),2004-till present.
Prior to his appointment as Chancellor of the University of Sharjah on 01-20-2014, Prof. Hamid Al-Naimiy served as Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College of Sciences, UOS, UAE, from 2010-2015.
Also Prof. Al- Naimiy served as Acting Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences & Dean of the College of Sciences, UOS, UAE, from 2008-2010. and served as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences , UOS, UAE,from 2006-2008.
Prior to occupying different positions at the University of Sharjah, Prof. Al-Naimiy worked at different universities in the UAE and the Arab world :
- Chairman of the Physics Department, UAE University, Al Ain, UAE, from 2001-2006
- Dean / Institute of Astronomy and Space Science, Al al-Bayt University, Jordan, 1994-2001.
- Chair / Physics Department /College of Science/ University of Baghdad/ 1990 - 1994
- Director General /Astronomy and Space Science Center/Iraqi Council for Scientific Research/ President Office, 1980 - 1989.
- Vice President of the Academic Iraqi Scientific Societies 1982- 1988.
- General Secretary of Arab Union for physics & Mathematics 1984-1990.
Prof. Al-Naimiy obtained the Bachelor of Science degree in Physics from The University of Baghdad; 1971. He graduated from Manchester University; UK with the Masters degree in Astronomy and Doctoral Degree in Astrophysics in 1975 and 1978 respectively.
Prof. Al-Naimiy is well known internationally for his contributions to teaching and research in the fields of Applied Physics, Astronomy and Space Sciences. He has won several regional and international awards in recognition of original research and for innovations that led to advancements in his field of specialization. Some of these awards are:
- Khalifa Award for Education 2009/2010 (In the Field of Higher Education & Research).
- Korea Astronomy & Space Science Institute Plaque, in recognition of his contribution to the 2009 UN/NASA/ESA/JAXA workshop on Basic Space Sciences and the International Heliophysical Year 2007, September 22nd , 2009. Daejeon/Korea.
- NASA Plaque in Recognition of his contributions as the Coordinator for the Asian & Pacific region on IHY2007, for the period 2005 – 2009.
- UN appreciation letter for scientists who displayed excellence in organizing the UN/ESA workshops. The 3rd UN/ESA/NASA workshop, Tokyo/Japan, 18th – 22nd, May, 2007.
- Personality of the Week .The International Heliophysical Year IHY2007.In the occasion of the 50years anniversary for IGY, Launching the 1st world space rocket Sputnik. IHY International Committee, June 8th, 2007.
- The Award for the best department chair, teacher and researcher for the year 2006 from UAE University.
- Included in International Marquis Who's Who for the 21st century, 19th Edition, 2002.
- The best scientific public media Publication Prize. The Iraqi Scientific Research Council 1987, Baghdad, Iraq.
- The best Scientific Researcher Prize. The Iraqi Scientific Research Council 1984, Baghdad, Iraq.
Chancellor Alnaimy has published over 120 refereed journal papers, 32 books and more than 800 articles and supervised more than 30PhD and Masters graduate students to completion. Also he has more than 500 TV interviews to his name. He taught many different courses in Physics, Astrophysics and Space Sciences in many Universities (UK, Iraq, Jordan and UAE); chaired many Scientific organizing Committees for International and Regional conferences; attended more than 100 International and Regional Conferences and was the General Coordinator for the Developing Science Teaching Project for secondary school teachers 2009-2015. Also he has extensive editorial experience in science related journals such as :- Editor in Chief / Bin Al-Haitham Journal for Science and Technology / 2005 – 2006.;Member of Editorial Board / International Journal for Applied Physics / India 2004 - to date.; Editor in Chief / the Universe Magazine, Issues by the AUASS, 2005 - 2011.Editor in Chief / International Journal for scientific Research / Faculty of Science, United Arab Emirates University, 2001- 2006 and Editor in Chief / Science Magazine (مجلة علوم) / Iraq (1989 – 1994).
Prof. Al-Naimiy is an active member in many International Societies and Organizations that deal with Astronomy and Space Sciences. Some of these societies are: The International Space Weather Initiative (ISWI) Organized by UN/ESA/NASA/JAXA , September 2009 – 2012( as UAE National coordinator),; UAE Representative for the IAY2009, Supervised and implemented by International Astronomical Union and UNESCO, 2009; Regional Coordinator and UAE representatives / IHY / NASA, 2005 – to date ; the Higher Council in the International Astronomy without Boarder Association 2004 – to date ; International Society of Searching for Intelligent life in the Universe 1981 - to date; International Astronomical Union 1980--- to date and the International Variable Stars Society 1980 - to date.
Prof. Al-Naimiy has contributed in the establishment and building of many active projects related to Astronomy and Space Sciences; some of which are: Sharjah Astronomy Center for Astronomy and Space Sciences , 2013-2015 ; Albayte Institute for Astronomy and Space Sciences; Ibn-AlShater Astronomy Park, Al-Albayte University, Jordan 1994-2001 .; Maragaha Observatory, Al-Albayte University , Jordan, 1995 .; The Iraqi Astronomical Observatory , Korek Mountain , North Iraq , 1980 – 1990, which was the 10th largest Observatory in the world in that time.