The Technology Transfer Office (TTO) was established in the academic year 2017-2018 for the purpose of managing all Intellectual property matters related to research activities and outputs at UOS. The TTO helps achieve the UOS mission and vision of research excellence and innovation by providing the framework that governs the ownership, disposition, use and commercial development of inventions, discoveries and creative works made at or under the auspices of UOS. It also provides the framework for protecting the intellectual property rights of its faculty, staff and students and licensing them to parties outside the university.
Responsibilities of the Technology Transfer Office
- Ensures that any invention conceived by faculty, enrolled students, staff employed by the university is legally protected to Inventors and offers them legal protection as per the university IP policy.
- Encourages innovative work and supports Inventors to protect their Intellectual Property rights in order to be able to capture the financial benefits of their inventions.
- Provides oversight of Intellectual Property management and technology transfer.
- Manages the IP budget allocated for the patent filing, application prosecution and legal consultation.
- Implements policies and procedures for patenting and licensing of Intellectual Property and exploiting Intellectual Property created by university's Inventors, and review then regularly.
- Promotes effective distribution and marketing of Intellectual Property.
- Ensures that the creating, retaining, and the using of the Intellectual Property are according to applicable UAE and international laws, and in line with the University Policies.
- Evaluates the commercial potential of Intellectual Property.
- Obtains and maintains the necessary legal protection,
- Takes the required actions to maximize the benefits of any Intellectual Property to the public, the Inventor(s), the University and its members.
- Advises the Inventor(s) and the University Community on the process and best practices for protecting and commercializing Intellectual Property.