1. Clinical research including ―The determinants of diabetes complications in Type 2 diabetes‖. This project will recruit diabetic patients from Rashid Diabetes center, primary care centers as well as The university hospital.
2. Molecular/ genetic of diabetes. We have collected about 3,500 blood samples during the first phase of our national diabetes study and DNA was extracted from them. The samples are ready for next generation sequencing (GWAS) as well as perhaps axon (RNA) sequencing. Furthermore we started to look at the micro RNAs in a small sample of diabetics; accordingly a larger study may be initiated.
3. Our results from molecular studies conducted on samples of DNA collected from Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young (MODY) families, which was conducted in the USA as well as Melbourne- Baker/IDI seems very promising. We will continue the study with our geneticists using our extracted DNA from our National survey.
4. Auditing the current management of diabetes in the University Hospital Sharjah and other main Diabetes Centers including Rashid Centre to compare with Best Practice Guidelines
5. Studying the Economic Impact of Diabetes and Obesity. We and colleagues from the Business Administration have already prepared a proposal and submitted to Ministry of Health, seeking funding.