SIMR Safety and Biohazard Committee
Safety is a shared responsibility (shared accountability) aiming the institution and the workers and is built upon an atmosphere of trust. The SIMR Safety and Biohazard Committee is a subcommittee of the University of Sharjah Central Lab Safety Committee. It is established to review and approve lab safety and biosafety issues, including the maintenance of an active and effective lab safety and biosafety program as developed by the Central Laboratories.
Dr. Khuloud Bajbouj Email: email@example.com / Phone number: 065057748
Dr. Farah Ibrahim Al-Marzooq Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Phone number: 065057657
Ms. Hema Unnikannan Email: email@example.com / Phone number: 065057287
Ms. Arwa Al-Shujairi Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Phone number: 065057746
The responsibilities of the lab safety and biohazard committee include:
- Develop a "culture of safety"
- Oversee the registration of biohazardous material and /or biological agents to ascertain if precautions are adequate to protect personnel and the environment, and recommend measures necessary for safely working with such materials
- Review and /or propose procedures maintain safe work environments and for compliance with Central Laboratories and Ministry of Health, involving the procurement, use, containment, decontamination, disinfection, and/or disposal of biological agents or biohazardous materials.
- Oversee the commissioning and de-commissioning of facilities requiring containment above Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) and Animal Biosafety Level 2 (ABSL-2). Review and approve associated Standard Operating Procedures for such facilities with regard to the design, commissioning and approval.
- Review medical surveillance programs aimed at preventing laboratory-acquired infections.
- Review incident reports involving biohazardous materials or biological agents, and recommend corrective actions to prevent recurrence, eliminate hazards or provide appropriate follow-up for exposed individuals.
- Provide consultation on emergency response planning involving the proper handling, disinfection and disposal of biohazardous agents.
- Develop and participate in programs to promote safe practices, procedures and proper use of containment equipment and facilities
- Stimulates responsible activities among workers and provides advice on laboratory design
- Periodic inspection of labs to ensure that standards according to the laboratory safety manual are rigorously followed
- Report to higher management any significant problems, violations of the laboratory safety guidelines, and any significant research-related accidents or illnesses
- Develop emergency plans for handling accidental spills/ personnel contamination and for investigating lab accidents
- Provide technical advice to PIs and RAs on research safety procedures
- Develop biosafety training activities
- Conduct audits based on a defined schedule