The OpenUAE Research & Development Group is the first of its kind in the country, providing new research opportunities related to the successful adoption of Open Source Software (OSS) in the region. The group will engage students (undergraduate and graduate at universities and other interested parties) to conduct research on the deployment of OSS in many sectors to serve multiple purposes i.e. cyber security, smart cities, Internet of Things, astronomy, blockchains …etc. The group provides the necessary training, develop ICT solutions based on OSS, evaluate and assess these solutions and provide consultancy services to enable government-wide, as well as private sector access, to OSS. The group initiative is aligned with the mission of the University of Sharjah as well as the economic vision of the UAE 2021.
1. Develop, apply and evaluate OSS solutions in many sectors in the UAE. Our research group will play a vital role and take the lead in many OSS projects such as
2. Develop a testbed for investigation of security and privacy issues of IoT devices.
3. Develop Internet of Things (IoT) based solutions for the UAE Govt. in order to tackle the country's economical, environmental, societal and global needs.
4. Design of Blockchain reference model, and development of information security management assurance guidelines and security recommendations.
5. Report findings to research partners, to local, regional, and international organizations.
6. Investigate the factors (including key hurdles) that affect the adoption of OSS solutions in the UAE, and provide a set of practical recommendations to help in the dissemination of OSS in this country.
7. Formulate a comprehensive OSS strategy that will provide guidance on how to effectively take advantage of the OSS solutions that have the greatest potential for cost savings, while fulfilling the quality, reliability, security, support, and end-user requirements.
8. Establish an OSS awareness campaign through workshops, seminars, and conferences.
9. Provide training and consultancy services to UAE government entities.
10. Perform a comprehensive literature survey on the use of OSS in the UAE and the Arab region.
11. Conduct surveys among law enforcement organizations in the UAE on the use of OSS.
12. Identify and categorize the findings of the surveys and perform the necessary analyses.