Health Promotion Research Group: A Research-Based Tool For Global Health
The Health Promotion Research Group/Sharjah Institute of Medical and Health Sciences Research, has adopted a research-based approach to assess the health status of adolescents and children in the UAE. Over a two years period our research group has established a comprehensive health profile of adolescents and children from private and public schools across the UAE. The health profile included, rates of obesity, body fat composition analysis, sleep quality, levels of anxiety, levels of physical activities, smoking status, self-efficacy toward diet and exercise, nutritional profile and oral health status.
A formal report will be shared with Ministry of education/UAE to tailor a collaborative interventions geared toward promoting health of adolescents and children.
Several high quality manuscripts were published and others under the process of publications in peer reviewed, high impact journals.
Currently the group is establishing another community-based projects that aims to assess cardiovascular disease risks among adult population. Risks for fall in elderly population will be another important project to be implemented in the coming period of the project.
1. Bani issa, W., Al Yateem N., Al Makhzoomi, I, & Ibrahim, A. (2016). Satisfaction of Healthcare Providers with Electronic Health Records and Perceived Barriers to Its Implementation In The United Arab Emirates. International Journal of Nursing practice, 22, 408-416.
2. Bani‐issa, W., Al‐Shujairi, A. M., & Patrick, L. Association Between Quality of Sleep and Health‐Related Quality of Life in Persons with Diabetes Mellitus Type 2. Journal of clinical nursing. (in press)
3. Bani-issa, W., Eldeirawi, K., Harfil, S., & Fakhry, R. (2017). Vitamin D Deficiency and Its Determinants in Adults: A Sample from Community-Based Settings in the United Arab Emirates. International journal of endocrinology, 2017.
4. Abraham SB, Al-Sakka AM, Khorshed N, Awad M. Quality of life of Dentists European Journal of Dentistry (in press).
5. Awad MA, , AlHammadi E, Malalla M, Maklai M, Tariq A, Al-Ali B, Al Jameel A, El Batawi H. Assessment of Elementary School Teachers’ Level of Knowledge and Attitude regarding Traumatic Dental Injuries in the United Arab Emirates. Int J Dent 2017; 1025324. doi: 10.