Inspired by the vision of His Highness Dr. Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Supreme Council member, Ruler of Sharjah and President of the University of Sharjah (UoS) to create a hub for research and development in the area of higher education and training. The ILHE was established to support, enhance and inspire the development of teaching excellence and leadership among the faculty members, staff and graduates of the University of Sharjah. The ILHE vision is to pursue national and international leadership in higher education, faculty development and innovation in higher education and research.
The ILHE patronizes, develops and promotes the use of state-of-the-art teaching and learning techniques of the highest quality at the University of Sharjah. The ILHE distinguishes itself by developing faculty competencies in higher education leadership, programs and curriculum development, and scholarly activities. Moreover, The ILHE takes the initiative to develop the proper mechanisms necessary to make sure that the academic establishment at the University of Sharjah is up to and contributing to the international academic community and provides a world-class service.
The institute will have an all-embracing function that includes teaching, research, consultation and service provision in higher education. This will be achieved via the following actions:
1. Maintaining the leadership position of the University of Sharjah nationally and internationally in higher education with an aspiration towards international visibility.
2. Training of all faculty in the university in the full spectrum of the art and science of education.
3. Providing expert support for innovation in higher education.
4. Nurturing the career of the academic staff and develop leaders in higher education nationally, regionally and internationally.
5. Advancing educational knowledge and practice through research and scholarly activities.
6. Develop mechanisms and sustainable programs to maintain and enhance the leadership in higher education.
Curriculum development and assessment.
The overarching goals and mandates of the ILHE will be achieved by following the following plan
1. Propose continuous training courses for all faculty members across the colleges within the university to acquire core competencies in teaching tools, learning, evaluation and leadership in the corresponding duties.
2. Support and maintain innovation in higher education by proposing and implementing world-class technologies and tools.
3. Create, develop and support educational research.
4. Create national leaders in higher education.
5. Initiate and enhance collaboration with national and international academic institutions within the Arab states and more.
Organize events and conferences to enforce the excellence and leadership in higher education.
FUNCTION AND SCOPE
A. Education and Teaching:
The institute is active in the full spectrum of higher education and training for the undergraduate, graduate levels and the professional development of faculty and graduate students. Our target is to train the faculty members and graduate students within the University of Sharjah. Moreover, the ILHE aims to extend its services to regional and international. The scope of the educational and training focus area is broad, it includes (but not limited to):
1. Establish training programs and to maintain the excellence in the areas education and teaching.
2. Developing faculty competencies to maximize their effectiveness as teachers, mentors, and leaders of educational programs.
3. Training on active learning techniques, small group learning and effective lecturing.
Innovative instructional design and evaluation.
4. Introduce, develop and evaluate learning technology i.e. including simulation, e-learning etc.
Curriculum development and program evaluation.
Leading change and continue educational development i.e. mentoring, educational portfolio, etc.
The ILHE supports the research and development in the area of education and training within the university and colleges by conducting research on innovation in teaching and learning and supporting faculty to publish research in education. Use published research and best evidence in higher education to guide educational practice, curriculum development, implementation and evaluation. Moreover, the IHLE is planning to establish a series of leadership programs to fulfil the goals and mandates of the institute.
C. Consultation and Service
Within the scope of the ILHE is provide consultancy and training services through its experienced faculty and staff, the institute provides support to innovation in higher education and advice on change culture, program development, learning strategies and quality assurance services.