The University of Sharjah was established in 1997 with the aim and vision to contribute to
the qualities shared by renowned universities around the world. The education and research programs we offer tend to be comprehensive and multi-disciplinary....
Admission Open for Fall Semester 2019-2018
UoS offers 111 programs across multiple academic disciplines.
Courses are offered in a variety of fields ranging from Sharia and Law to Health Sciences, Medicine, Fine Arts and Design, Engineering and Communication. We also offer a wide range of degree programs at the diploma, BSc/BA, MSc/MA, and PhD levels as well as the Executive MBA (EMBA) program.
The University of Sharjah is a residential university with over 3,403 students living on campus. Students have access to extraordinary campus resources and a wide range of cultural and social activities and opportunities.
Everything from food and athletics to healthcare is available within a short walk and at reasonable prices and convenient hours. Our two sports complexes provide facilities for sports of all types, including swimming, tennis and football.
1. Move towards a zero-waste campus by diverting maximum amount of waste from landfills.
2. Promote waste reduction & reuse programs on campus.
3. Apply waste segregation, recycling & composting for material recovery.
4. Implement energy recovery systems on campus.
5. Minimize and safely dispose hazardous waste, including lab- and e-waste.
6. Manage the construction & demolition wastes using eco-friendly techniques.
7. Raise awareness of the campus community about sustainable waste management.
1- Waste Minimization
- Total amount of waste reduced on campus annually (ton/year)
- Specific amount of waste reduced per weighted campus user annually (ton/person/year)
2- Waste Reuse
- Total amount of waste reused on campus annually (ton/year)
- Specific amount of waste reused per weighted campus user annually (ton/person/year)
- Total amount of waste diverted on campus annually (ton/year)
- Specific amount of waste diverted per weighted campus user annually (ton/person/year)
4- Waste Recycling
- Total amount of waste recycled on campus annually (ton/year)
- Specific amount of waste recycled per weighted campus user annually (ton/person/year)
5- Energy Recovery
- Total amount of energy recovered on campus annually (kWh/year)
- Specific amount of energy recovered per weighted campus user annually (kWh/person/year)
6- C&D Waste Management
- Total amount of C&D waste diverted from landfill (ton/year)
- Fraction of C&D waste diverted from landfill (%)
7- Hazardous Waste Management
- Fraction of hazardous waste safely managed (%)
8- Electronic Waste (E-waste) Management
- Total amount of e-waste segregated, reused, or recycled on campus annually (ton/year)
- Fraction of e-waste segregated, reused, or recycled (%)
- Recycling blue bins are available in some offices and departments at the university in order to facilitate the recycling for students, staff, and faculty members.
- SO is currently discussing potential collaboration with Bee'ah regarding recycling within university buildings.
2. Paper Work Reduction & E-Communications
- As per the internal memo by the University Chancellor, UOS staff and faculty members are encouraged to reduce paper work and move to electronic communications.
3. E-Archiving System
- For 3,055 courses, 98 programs, 700 faculty members & 15000 students, UOS automated all files by implementing an E-portfolio system.
4. Double-sided Printing
- The Sustainability Office sends regular announcements regarding double-sided printing for students, staff, and faculty members.
- The university has multiple donation boxes distributed on campus.
6. Green Waste
- Green wastes are collected and transported to a nearby composting facility. The produced fertilizer is reused as a soil conditioner.
7. Electronic Waste
- E-waste depots are located throughout the campus to receive various kinds of electronic waste. Those depots are emptied regularly.
8. Hazardous Waste
- UOS manages the toxic waste through a qualified waste disposal contractor called "Wekaya".
- UOS has a separate contract for each facility in order to effectively manage the waste based on each waste generator.
- Treatment is carried out at the waste treatment plant located in AlSajaa.
- Promote recycling inside the university buildings
- Supply desk-side recycling bins for paper products, beverage containers, and cardboard in all campus offices and classrooms.
- Supply suitable recycling bins for faculty housing and student dorms.
- Propose a new effective recycling-based waste collection system for the campus.
2. Awareness Programs
- Promote a paper reduction policy with programs such as: "Think before you print", "Print double-sided", "Consider not printing at all", and "Green paper-free meetings".
- Switch to reusable mugs, water bottles, and bags within campus.
3. Donation Station
- Establish donation stations at convenient locations on campus.
- Stations can receive items such as furniture, clothes, homeware, books, etc., particularly during moving out of staff & students and from existing community.
- Free pick-up can be arranged to encourage participation.
- Donated items can be sold for a low price to sustain the operation of the facility.
4. E-waste Depot
- Establish convenient E-waste drop-off locations on campus.
- Those depots can receive ink/toner cartridges, cell phones, computers, monitors, televisions, and most other electronic items and peripherals.
- Reusable items can be sold for a low price to sustain the operation of the facility.
5. University Facilities
- Centralize printers and copying machines: Currently, a study is being conducted to get rid of all decentralized printers and replace them with centralized ones.
- A large fraction of waste, particularly grass trimmings and kitchen waste from restaurants and households can be turned into a useful soil amendment through composting.
- The composting process can be easily implemented and operated on campus.
- The compost can be used to fertilize green areas on campus, or to be sold externally.
P. O. Box 27272 Sharjah, UAE, Tel:
+971 6 5585000,
Fax: +971 6 5585099, Email: